best way to remove carberator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to remove carberator

heres a little trick I came up with when removing the carberator. as you know its pretty tight in there with the airbox in the way, so what I did was was use a normal strap put it around the airbox and crank it light pulling it back, you can do the same with the carberator as well

Attached Files

I have wrapped a strap across the carb throat and hooked it in front of the engine and ratcheted the carbs back in the intakes as well. works like a champ
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wow. Such effort. Never had to do that with my 850.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

850s are easy. Especially with good boots.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'll try to remember that for when I need it next. My 250 has REALLY tight clearance for the carbs.
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic
          ..............................27 years

Comment

I take the battery box bolts out too, gives you a fraction more but every little bit helps. Warming the boots up with a hair dryer helps too if they aren't new ones

Comment

I tried the straps both
              ways and its a definite improvement, good ideas !

Comment

On Honda and Kawasaki I'll push the boots back into the air cleaner box. They won't go all the way and they are easy to pull out. Give you a lot more room. On reassemble I mount the carbs and tighten them down then reach in and pull the boots back out to their normal position. Slide the box forward so the boots mount on the carbs and tighten them down.

If the boots a little stiff, once I get the carbs out, I'll pull them out. When I'm ready to mount the carbs I soak the boots in hot soapy water and get the carbs ready to go. The hot water soak limbers them up. Pop the boots into the air box, pushed in like they were when I removed the carbs, then mount carbs and pull the boots back forward onto the carbs.

It is a lot easier than it sounds.

Comment

I remove carbs and air box as a unit on GS 1000g takes all of about 5 minutes, i stall as a unit also
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I just loosen the engine mount bolts and jack up the back of the motor a bit. Granted it is a pita, you have to remove some stuff, but it makes it so much easier to get them in or out.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

"I take the battery box bolts out too, gives you a fraction more but every little bit helps. Warming the boots up with a hair dryer helps too if they aren't new ones"
                      I'm with Katarat on this suggestion. I have 2 GS1100's. When I first got them I was removing and reinstalling the carbs many times trying to get the best performance results. I found that following really speeds things up and makes it almost easy to remove and reinstall the carbs. 1) removing the battery, 2) then removing the 2 bolts (10mm heads) that hold the battery box which allows the battery box to move back about 3/4 inch, 3) detach the rubber air-box boots from the carbs (a heat gun or hair dryer helps here also) 4) remove the 2 bolts (10mm heads) on the top of the air-box that hold the air-box to the frame, 5) make sure all hoses attached to the air-box are free, then carefully wiggle and slide the entire air-box out from the right side of the bike. Take care not to snag any of the wires. Now you have all the room in the world to remove the carbs by pushing them down and up pulling them back at the same time. A heat gun or hair dryer is again helpful. Good time to clean the top to the crankcase, back of the cylinders, check the condition of the chain tensioner for leaks and proper spring tension. Also while the air-box is out on the bench, it's a great time to clean it up and make sure it's sealing properly. Reinstall is the opposite except that I have found that it's much easier to reattach the rubber air-box boots to the carbs and then attach the air-box to the frame.
                      just saying!
                      sbmisajw

Comment

Working...
                      X