Valve keeper removal tool with head on engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve keeper removal tool with head on engine

Hey all. Just got done changing the valve stem seals on my GS650e. The engine would smoke at startup and burn a bit of oil from everyday riding.
    Compression numbers were good and consistent, no increase with oil poured in. The symptoms led me to believe it was the valve stem seals.

I didn't want to disturb more than I had to so I just partially followed some information online about valvetrain servicing with the engine in the car or cylinder head on the block. The most difficult part about this job was getting the valve keepers out and back in. I bought a lisle 36050 tool to remove/install the valve keepers but it was too big to fit on cylinders 2 and 3 while on the frame. It worked great on cylinders 1 and 4. Had to make a tool for the inner cylinders. Attached is a picture of the tool.

Picture is a bit dark but use your imagination here.
    On the left side of the pic, you'll see I welded some short pieces of tubing to the top of 6mm bolts. These go into the valve cover mounting holes on both ends of the cylinder head.
    I used a 5/16 sst bar I had laying around to be the hinge. The bar has a 3/8" nut welded to it, about 1/3 the length of rod -- this makes it so you can screw in the mounting bolts individually then slip in the bar.
    For the piece that pushes down on the valve retainer, I used a scrap piece of 1" square tubing with a window cut out.
    A 3/8"x4" bolt is screwed into the nut on the 5/16" bar. In order to push the square tubing whilst being able to keep the tubing from spinning, I sandwiched a washer between two nuts.

Once you have all the parts in place, you simply tighten the 3/8"x4" bolt and it'll push the valve springs down enough to get at the keepers.

You'll have to experiment with mounting bolt depths to get the right angle.

IMG_20150730_221852700.jpg

Hope this sparks ideas on doing this job without removing the cylinder head.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2015, 10:40 AM.

cool stuff. The rope worked fine to keep the valves in place?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      cool stuff. The rope worked fine to keep the valves in place?
      Yes. Took a bit of practice and trial and error to get it right. Some ropes were too compressible so I'd have to squeeze it to almost TDC before I got all the slack out, some ropes didn't coil enough to block both valves. I ended up with a boat docking rope... The kind that floats.

Comment

Nice. My GS1000L is smoking on startup too. How many hours did it take to do the job.

Comment

interesting tool. Thanks. That's set my brain thinking

Comment

Originally posted by RGM View Post
            Nice. My GS1000L is smoking on startup too. How many hours did it take to do the job.
            Being my first time with a bike engine valve train, probably 10 hours total including parts removal and making of 4 different tools.
            If anyone wants to borrow the tool, just pay shipping both ways and it's yours.
            Once I got the right tool made, it'd probably take 2 hours to get the valve stem seals replaced.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
              If anyone wants to borrow the tool, just pay shipping both ways and it's yours.
              How much would you charge to build the tool for someone? What is your location?
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                How much would you charge to build the tool for someone? What is your location?
                I'm not really looking to make any money, and I don't want to make any for sale either lol. I wouldn't mind making a few with the leftover scraps I have. Probably charge a few bucks for the time and material. But it wouldn't be quick by any means.
                And I'm in Minneapolis MN.
                I can draw up the tool with more specifics if anyone would like.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
                  I can draw up the tool with more specifics if anyone would like.
                  That would be helpful.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

here is the tool i made for replacing valve guide seals with head in place. takes 2 hours to do the lot.....
                    WP_20150102_002.jpg
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Care to make a video of how to do it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Machining would be preferable to welding for me, as I don't have easy access to a welder, but specs and drawings from both would be fantastic, if you are willing to share
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          here is the tool i made for replacing valve guide seals with head in place. takes 2 hours to do the lot.....
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]41267[/ATTACH]
                          Looks nice. I don't have bars of aluminum sitting around. Where was your post when I was looking for solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            Machining would be preferable to welding for me, as I don't have easy access to a welder, but specs and drawings from both would be fantastic, if you are willing to share
                            If you can find them, eye bolts with a 6mm thread would not require welding. Then a flat bar with a threaded hole for the "pushing" bolt would work.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Care to make a video of how to do it?
                              not really, considering i have recently done them. i dont plan on doing them again for a long time yet!
                              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                              X