Polishing helper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing helper

I've been organizing my extra Suzuki hardware lately into hardware drawers. Over the past two years, I have stripped half a dozen or so gs750s for the parts I needed to build two. This has left me with a ton of extra hardware, which until very recently resided in various coffee cans, mayo jars ect. I built the first bike this way. I imagine I spent roughly the same amount of time looking for the correct hardware as I did actually wrenching. I decided that would not work with the second bike, so every can, jar, bag, and box of loose hardware was laced out on my workbench, organized, and cleaned. I spent the time at the bench grinder, and cleaned and polished the threads and heads of the bolts so they would be ready to install when needed, and filled the drawers. That was easy, then I looked at the nuts, not quite as easy. So I used an old cylinder head stud to make this "tool" for cleaning up the bolts. The existing threads are 10mm, but the rod itself is 8mm, so you can cut one of the 10mm threads off and rethread with an 8mmx1 die. I hope someone benefits from the tip.
    image.jpg

Threading a nut onto a bolt is the only way to easily wire brush a nut.Doing that does take off the corrosion coatings though and the hardware will rust.It happens fast where I live by the ocean.I have been painting the heads http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ads&highlight= but that doesn't work to great.Been going though the 1000's hardware and zinc coating then as I do stuff.

Comment

Working...
    X