GS 300 airbox removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 300 airbox removal

So I ordered pods and some jets and stuff for the bike today. I've had the stock airbox unbolted before to pull the carbs before, but it does not look like it's coming out of there without a fight.

Before I dive into the swap, is there any tricks to removing that airbox?

Your bike is very similar to mine-the airbox is really awkward and big....and I've only had a box in and out once and like other painful memories I have weighted with rocks and chains and sunk it deep.
    ...but I recall...the rear fender always has to be undone. It's a two part fender so it's just the forward piece needs undoing. I am tempted to include rear wheel too maybe, at least, drop the chain and shift wheel back as far as you can
    Don't rely too much on this but I am pretty sure I got it out the right side after trying fruitlessly at rear wheel... battery box and carbs removed of course. Likely camchain tensioner and even starter motor -you may need that pit...Be sure your bike has identical sides per frame (ie:my 400EX does not ) Footrests and brake pedal might be best swung away because the thing is going to need a twist and turn
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-08-2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric View Post
      So I ordered pods and some jets and stuff for the bike today. I've had the stock airbox unbolted before to pull the carbs before, but it does not look like it's coming out of there without a fight.

Before I dive into the swap, is there any tricks to removing that airbox?
      If you are going to ruin your bike lol , why not simply ruin the airbox also? like cut it in half and take it out???

Comment

I love my pods, and as long as you get the dynojet kit and sync the carbs up properly you will too. Oh and high quality pods like K&N. The GS650E's airbox makes it nearly impossible to do any work on the carbs without having to spend a ton of time trying to get them in and out. Getting rid of it was one of the best decisions I've made for my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
          If you are going to ruin your bike lol , why not simply ruin the airbox also? like cut it in half and take it out???
          Well? If I ever decide to return it to stock-ish, it'd be good to keep it intact. Sounds like it's gonna be a day project.

Comment

good for you,Ric. Keep your options open. It's probably the first thing the factory put into the frame so it's hard getting it out, but mostly because of all the stuff that turns out to be in the way and needs removing.
            If you yearn for a hardtail-tractor seat too, or whatever, keep all the bits you take off so if you come to a dead-end either mechanically or style-wise, you can retrace your steps and make something different again....like the different configs of the Ducati Scrambler or the Royal Enfield

Comment

Style-wise, it is still my wife's bike. So unless she wants a bobber, brat, tracker, or whatever other catchy name there may be for a certain look, it's just gonna be a sleeper for now. B(

Comment

Working...
              X