How do you ensure that the Clutch/oil pump drive is engaged on install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you ensure that the Clutch/oil pump drive is engaged on install

I think I got lucky with this barn find GS1100E.

The clutch rattled bad at idle, the rattle went away with any increase in rpm's.

When I took the clutch apart I found the nut locked down but the drum really loose. About the amount you would get with tightening the clutch hub down without the oil pump drive tabs being aligned.

I never saw the oil pressure light come on while this motor was running,...I think I got lucky and the oil pump was being turned.

Oh yes, the basket needs the "FlyingBanana" mod, all but two of the springs are loose.

Is there a way, a trick or tip for making sure that the oil pump drive is engaged when putting the clutch back in?.

Thanks in advance.

Put it on where you know it has to be wrong and take it from there.
    I had a similar experience with mine, loose nut. The oil light came on on the over run or leaning the bike to the right at a stop light. Putting on power or leaning left at a stop put the light out. I figured that gravity was taking the basket in and out of drive and the helical primary gears did the same as the direction of the load switched.
    Depending on whether it was seated properly or not, with the oil filler open you could see the basket come out with the plates when you pulled the clutch lever.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 11-04-2015, 12:52 PM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
    X