Bouncing electronic tachometer GSX 1100 and GS 1150 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dmplatt
    Well I had problems with my Tach not getting over 5k. After cleaning all connections, still not. So I tried the capacitor swap.
    I will say that my '83 GS 750E has the same board and same capacitors. I swapped them out and now I get to 6k and that's it. Once it jumped up to 7k, then dropped again and acted erratically.

In conclusion: The '83 GS 750E has the same tach board and capacitors. But, unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem. and, like an idiot, I broke the needle on my oil temp. But, there is enought left to still read the temp. :?

I'll try to get another tach somewhere, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Dave
    I would go back and check value & the polatity of the caps

Comment

I also have a GS(X) 750 ES with exactly the similar symptoms. It revs up to 6000rpm, stops and then jumps around. I have changed the electrolytic capacitors, but it did not solve the problem. Nice articles on this forum though. I will try to change some wiring and perhaps the two other capacitors as well. Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sten
        I also have a GS(X) 750 ES with exactly the similar symptoms. It revs up to 6000rpm, stops and then jumps around. I have changed the electrolytic capacitors, but it did not solve the problem. Nice articles on this forum though. I will try to change some wiring and perhaps the two other capacitors as well. Hope it helps.
        I did the same, no luck. It got a little better, but still not right.
        If you figure it out, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Originally posted by dmplatt
          Well I had problems with my Tach not getting over 5k. After cleaning all connections, still not. So I tried the capacitor swap.
          I will say that my '83 GS 750E has the same board and same capacitors. I swapped them out and now I get to 6k and that's it. Once it jumped up to 7k, then dropped again and acted erratically.

In conclusion: The '83 GS 750E has the same tach board and capacitors. But, unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem. and, like an idiot, I broke the needle on my oil temp. But, there is enought left to still read the temp. :?

I'll try to get another tach somewhere, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Dave
          I would go back and check value & the polatity of the caps
          Sorry, I just saw this post.
          Next time I get the tach off I will.

Comment

My '85 Katana 750 does the same thing. I'll dig into it soon and report my findings. Great info guys!

Comment

I have a similar if not the same problem as everyone elde. I have a '85 gs700E with an electronic tach. I managed to get another tach off ebay and I swapped out the complete circuit board. The problem got better but still not fixed. Before the tach wouldn't go above 5k and it would bounce around. Now it goes to 7K and still bounces....Any thoughts? :?

Comment

Sounds like still a few of us still out there.

I know Earl installed a digital Tach on the Teddy Bear. ?

Has anyone tried adding a ground, like Billy Ricks suggested? I just wonder......if it might be a weak ground, or just a lame Tach.

Comment

Billy Ricks, can you elaborate on how to hook up the Gixxer Tach?

Thanks man.

Missed ya.

Comment

wiring

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for an 83' 750? The previous owner hacked mine up. My tach doesnt work. The orange wire is connected to an orange wire , the white wire was hooked up to a clump of black/white wires and the brown wire wasnt connected to anything. does anyone have an idea what each wire does or to where the connection goes?

Comment

Looking to rehash this thread as my tach has started to get really freaky. I did the capacitor swap a few years ago, and it worked well up to a limit, the tach stopped bouncing, but would top out at 7grand now it tops out at around 6 and will drop over time. Is there any way to test the signal into the tach with a multi-meter: voltage, mA or resistance? Since it has been pizzing rain here lately a lot, I was looking to work on the tach again.

HHHHHHHeeeeeeeeelllllllllloooooooo,, let's wake this thread up and find a fix for all these poorly behaving tachs.

Comment

I have a 83 GS1100esd with the same problem. It all started after my bike fell over while idling in the driveway. Any new updates?

Comment

The most important bit of the job NOT mentioned is to reglue the capacitors; use a lo-melt "hot glue" gun so as to not cook the capacitor.
                          I found that my tacho was smooth and accurate after the swap until the miles started to add up, then it deteriated again, at this point I remembered that the originals were glued down, so I replaced them again and glued them down, no problems since, four years later.
                          BTW the voltage rating is not vitally important, as long as it exceeds 12v the micro -farad rating is the important bit,i.e. my replacements are 33v.

Dink

Comment

Electronic Tach Problem

Well Fellas, My tach finally stopped working all together on my 83 GS1100esd so I am resurecting this topic! I guess I will have to go and give the capacitor replacment a try. Guy like you Dink or others still having good luck with your tach after the capacitor swap? Any additional suggestions would be appreicated.

Also I was wondering if anyone just replaced the tach all together with a aftermarket tach and found a way to stuff it in the stock guage assembly? With so many of you with the same problem, hoped someone has came up with a simple solution. Help!

Comment

I've tried two different early '90s GSXR tachs on my ES, both do the bouncing act that the stocker did. When wired to both coils they stop bouncing (one coil and it still bounces) and will go past 7k but read way too high. I ask, maybe would a resistor on the signal wire (when wired to both coils) bring the reading down to the right level? I know nothing when it comes to electonics/electrical stuff....
                              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Well though this is promising, if it tachs up too high and is not accurate, it is not much use to me but thanks! Maybe you are on to something though! Anyone else has any luck????????????????????????

Comment

Working...
                                X