No announcement yet.

Bouncing electronic tachometer GSX 1100 and GS 1150 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have replaced the capacitors twice, and last time I replaced the little blue one and the round brown one and two of the resistors.
    Everything that can be replaced has been replaced, except for the black chip in the middle. It doesn't bounce now but still hangs at about 5000 for a while before going up. I give up. The only thing left to get into would be the big brass clock part. But what do you do with that?

Comment

Careful Clone if you do decide to go into "the big brass clock bit" I vaguely recall someone doing this quite some time ago; IIRC they use contact cleaner and cotton tips to clean out any old lube, dirt etc in there, also IIRC it helped.

Dink

Comment

bringing up a dead thread here but it has some info relavant to my problems. Im ordering the capacitors to see if that will work. Just wondering if anybody knows the tolerance of the resistors on this board. I cant tell if the band is gold or silver. Also should I use 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt?
        ---Eric

Comment

Dont replace resistor unless burned. Caps go out do them first.
          Last edited by posplayr; 11-07-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Also clean the old lube out of the brass movement and use some new lube, that makes a huge difference, I also found that if you adjust the tension of the securing nut, that helps.

Comment

i replaced the two electrolytic capacitors and the tach now reads but its obviously sluggish when revving the engine. Any suggestions?
              ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                i replaced the two electrolytic capacitors and the tach now reads but its obviously sluggish when revving the engine. Any suggestions?
                Are you sure you replaced with the correct values? Tolerance doesnt matter as much but being off by 10:1 might depending upon which one you did.

Otherwise is the needle free to move or is it real gummed up?

Comment

4.7uf and 33uf just like what was on there and is listed at the beginning of this thread

Doesnt seem gunked up but Ill take it back apart when I get some time and check it out in detail.
                  ---Eric

Comment

You need to remove the back of the brass workings, clean out the old lube and put some new in there, I also backed the tension nut off a little on the back, like 1/8 of a turn and it worked better.
                    search out another thread where I replaced the green and the little blue 'thingies' on the circuit board, that also helped.

Comment

My 1150 tach is a little sluggish. I'll be getting into it soon. I'll report back with my findings.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Bruce, it's NOT your tach! That's how SLOW stock motors rev!!! I just HAD to!!! LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                          You need to remove the back of the brass workings, clean out the old lube and put some new in there, I also backed the tension nut off a little on the back, like 1/8 of a turn and it worked better.
                          search out another thread where I replaced the green and the little blue 'thingies' on the circuit board, that also helped.
                          could you elaborate a little more on what you mean. Im not sure what you mean by the brass workings, or the tension nut. Thanks.

Ive got a new (to me) board and I tested it and it registered so im putting it in right now and Ive got a modification to the cluster Im going to try before I put it back together.
                          ---Eric

Comment

is the nut on the back center of the tach itself? I took a shot and loosened it up a touch and the tach reads better than it did, its not as sluggish but it still seems like its reading way low. It reads about 1000RMP at idle and I can rev it and it goes up but it sounds like the bike is revving waaay higher than its reading. Just by ear im not comfortable going over 4000RMP via what the tach is telling me. I dont know how to see if its right other than compare the speed if I take her down the road.
                            ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                              I can rev it and it goes up but it sounds like the bike is revving waaay higher than its reading.
                              That is exactly what my tach does on my 1150. Funny thing is, when I grab the cluster and push it up little the needle goes up about 500 rpm. That's why I think maybe a cleaning will help.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

maybee we have something mounted wrong and its hanging up on something inside??
                                ---Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X