Clymer does it again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clymer does it again!

Yesterday, had a little time to work on my project GS1000G 1980 and was hooking up the plug wires. For the life of me, I couldn't remember whether the white and black/white went to which coils/plugs. Took a quick look at my Clymers manual which is for the shafty 850/1000 and first thing I noticed that they have the black/white wire coil connected to 3 & 4 plugs and the white to 1 & 2 (guess they have to go somehwere). They have the wires from the ignited feeding the coils correct on the 850 diagram. Does anyone ever wonder about these "slop manuals"? I wonder how many people have wasted their time over the years because of these dumb mistakes? I looked at the Clymers site and concerns with a specific manual are address to research@haynes.com - I will probably send them a note later if I get a chance but what is the chance of them fixing problems with a vintage bike manual?

Most here preach of using Suzuki factory manuals and using others as a reference.

Chances of Clymer fixing the error? Nil I would suspect.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Heres the real deal for you............

And here the website for a lot of the maintenance tips your gonna be scratching y0ur head over. Home page has many links on each side that you should look at.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
        ... I noticed that they have the black/white wire coil connected to 3 & 4 plugs and the white to 1 & 2 ...
        Now I have to ask. Is there also an error on your part or are you just repeating their error?

The left coil (I think that's the one that has the white wire) is for plugs 1 and 4.
        The right coil (I think that's the one that has the black/white wire) is for plugs 2 and 3.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought one too but not too thrilled with the vague instructions. Best bet is to get it from BassCliff's website.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I wasn't disrespecting any icon of the site. I was pointing out that when I sit next to the bike and am working on it, I have a manual in hand. The factory Suzuki manual I have is .pdf file and so the Clymer manual is what sits next to the bike in the shop. I am fully aware that the coils fire in 1/4 and 2/3 pairs and that is the same as any lost spark ignition regardless of manufacturer so I was surprised to see the one coil firing 1&2 and the other 3&4 in the Clymer wiring diagram for the 1000. The 850 was drawn correctly. Just pointing this out.

Comment

When I need to work on my bike, I print off just the sections that I need out of the PDF and carry them into the garage with me.

I bought both the Clymer and Hanes manuals for my bike when I was young and foolish and have tried to use them on occasion, with frustrating results. I need to just go ahead and eBay them.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Actually, there are advantages to each version.

The factory manual assumes that a trained technician will be using it, so there are a lot of details for measurements and specifications, but some of the procedures are a bit ... "sketchy". For example: "Remove side cover to access fuse panel." When you can't see any fasteners, what do you do? My 850G has two slots at the top of the cover that hang on brackets on the frame and a single nub on the bottom of the cover that fits into a rubber grommet that holds everything in place. My wife's 850GL has three of those nubs and grommets. If I had only worked on bikes like hers, I would be pulling the whole cover straight off, breaking the slots at the top in the process. I have not looked at that exact procedure in my Haynes or Clymer manuals, but it is possible that they might say "Pull the bottom of the cover loose, then lift to remove cover from tabs."

Clymer and Haynes also tend to describe alternate "special" tools, like a piece of wood that holds pistons in place when placing the cylinders over them.

Yes, Clymer and Haynes might be a little off in some of the specifications and details, but they might also have one other detail that is left out of the factory manual.

Yes, I have all three for my 850s, in order of preference: Suzuki, Clymer, Haynes.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X