Another zip tie method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another zip tie method

This time for grip installation. Grip stuff starts at about 2:00. The link for the video is supposed to start there, but that doesn't seem to be working.

This dude has a whole playlist of hacks for mountain bikes. Probably more than a few are cross-disciplinary.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Seems a huge effort, Air hose and compressor works great ballooning the grip to slide it on. Easy and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
      Seems a huge effort, Air hose and compressor works great ballooning the grip to slide it on. Easy and simple.
      Not so sure about the "huge effort", but I do agree with the use of a compressor.

Of course, that assumes that you HAVE a compressor.

A pack of zip-ties is available at the corner store and takes virtually no room in a drawer.
      A compressor is a much larger investment, requiring more finances and storage room.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        A compressor is a much larger investment, requiring more finances and storage room.

Yeah, but once you have one your not sure how you used to live with none.

Comment

Very true.

Maybe that's why I have two?

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Myself, I don't use the compressor that much. I have a little Ryobi handheld thing for tires. I think it's been a couple years since I got it, and the compressor has just been in the way since then. Maybe I should put it on Craigslist. Wait, what am I thinking? I might want to media blast something again someday. Sell a tool? I must be sleep deprived.
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have seen your compressor. Whatever you want to media blast had better be rather small.

If you need to do anything larger, bring it on up, my cabinet easily handles objects as large as cylinders and heads.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Soda blasting carb bodies is about all I've ever done. Anything larger implies I'm involved in a serious painting project. You can go ahead and discount any such reports without some pretty significant corroboration.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  Myself, I don't use the compressor that much. I have a little Ryobi handheld thing for tires. I think it's been a couple years since I got it, and the compressor has just been in the way since then.
                  My dad converted an old 40lb propane tank and he fills it with one of those small compressors. You're not going blast, paint or run tools off it but it's plenty enough for cleaning purposes like carbs, brakes etc.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I'll stick to using hairspray, always works well. Just because you use the tie straps to slide it on doesn't mean it'll be secure on the bar and not slip whereas the hairspray not only allows it to slide on, it also helps secure it and keep it from slipping.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                      I'll stick to using hairspray, always works well. Just because you use the tie straps to slide it on doesn't mean it'll be secure on the bar and not slip whereas the hairspray not only allows it to slide on, it also helps secure it and keep it from slipping.
                      What I didn't like about the hairspray was waiting for it to dry. Even the next day it hadn't cured fully. I don't do that anymore.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

For me, the hardest part of using hair spray is finding some.

Nobody in our house uses any, so I would have to buy some.

If I'm going to buy something to install grips, it's likely going to be grip glue.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          For me, the hardest part of using hair spray is finding some.

Nobody in our house uses any, so I would have to buy some.

If I'm going to buy something to install grips, it's likely going to be grip glue.

Some years back, when the wife and I were still dating, she was at my house and asked, “This is probably a dumb question, but do you have any hairspray?”. “Of course” I say, and ran out to the garage to get it. The look on her face was priceless.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                            Some years back, when the wife and I were still dating, she was at my house and asked, “This is probably a dumb question, but do you have any hairspray?”. “Of course” I say, and ran out to the garage to get it. The look on her face was priceless.
                            Haha That probably sealed the deal! She probably told all her friends "He even has hair spray in his garage, what a guy"!
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

At one point, I kept sneaking off with my wife's hairspray and eventually she got tired of it so she bought me my own, I'm so lucky to have such a considerate wife.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                              X