No announcement yet.

Driving through the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tourmaster has several Battery Operated choices for Vest /jacket Liners and Heated Gloves (7V)

Revzilla / Dennis Kirk / Amazon are all places to purchase these.

I own a a pair of Joe Rocket gloves *battery* and they work plenty well and a short ride would be fine -

I wore them home one day from Chicago (about 125 miles from me) and was warm all the way - I stopped once to change to fresh batteries about 1/2 way .

Owning 2 sets of batterys helps a lot - but for a short ride it shouldn't be a problem
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I have never used heated anything on a bike. I did buy grip heaters for the GK, but they did not get installed as I did not ride it much after I bought a Bandit 12 and quickly learned Bandits do NOT like snow or ice.

When I was a child I had my hands/fingers frozen multiple times (also feet/toes and ears) and since then they chill out quickly, even at temperatures of 10C/50F

Still, when I had no car, I would dress for it and ride all winter at temperatures down to 0F/-18C. We seldom get below that in the Toronto area.

Leather or something else to stop wind from the legs, as well as the rest of your body, is vital

Layer your clothing to provide insulation. You can remove some of it if you feel too warm, but do that in a wind=sheltered area only.

A windshield is a huge benefit, although it does not help legs. The windshield provides an immense safety benefit (depending on speed) as it allows snow to blow over your head and gives a much clearer field of vision

Full face helmet is the only way to go....while wearing a bubble shield on a 3/4 helmet I had my cheeks frozen so hard at about -2 F you could literally knock on them. I could not open my mouth to talk for some time after getting home.

A neck shield/scarf is really helpful. A full covering for face and neck such as a balaclava is even better, but may make your helmet tight.

Block treads are FAR better on snow than standard summer-type treads. They provide a huge help on snow....I think the maximum I ever rode in was six inches but 2 to 4 inches was common.
      No matter which tires you have on your bike, check tire pressures often......cold affects them negatively both in pressure and in traction, as they afford less traction on pavement when cold..

Good quality mitts are definitely better than gloves, even the two-finger split ones, as all your hand is in one air pocket.
      For additional insulation, you can wear thin gloves inside them.

I tried the Vetter Hippo Hands but had problems getting them to fit, as was mentioned.
      They do work pretty well, but you can get a backdraft that will chill the wrist, so you need something to block that from happening.

On GS bikes the electrical systems tend to be fragile and yours may not support the extra load of heated bars and clothing. Battery is probably a safer bet, and keep spares handy.

Remember, also.....speed makes a significant difference. Wind chill is VERY real.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
      X