No announcement yet.

Driving through the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made this yesterday. I've had these nice mitts for so long but no good on a bike so, hey! a Hippo hand, since I think it's just the right hand where I want the split.mitten mod.jpg

Comment

Three miles? That is nothing if you aren't riding through snow or sleet or torrential rain. Gear up and do it. Your carbs will thank you.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Those split mittens are pretty great, nice mod as well.

As others have said, bundle up, but you still need to move, and yes rain gear is an essential, nice thing you have a short ride. I swear by good quality wool thermal long underwear and the frog toggs brand rain gear, and I got some cheap rain covers for my boots that worked a treat.

A windshield makes a big difference too, and be careful of cross draft side winds and painted lines, especially on corners when wet - same as when it rains.

Now that I live in San Diego it’s not a problem and I ride every day but when I spent two winters in Chicago I still tried to ride every day it wasn’t snowing (35 miles, mostly freeway) and I switched to my other GS (f800gs adventure) for winter riding and am fortunate to have heated grips, big block tires, ABS and traction control. I added some burly brush guards to block the wind and eventually some bare muffs that I had to modify a bit. Was nice because then I could wear a smaller glove, which was needed because the controls were a bit tight inside those mitts!

A mild December day:
        GS_Mitts.jpg
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Someone else mentioned Hippo hands, I'm going to get some for my new DR650, even with heated grips my hands get cold, so I'm going to try them out.

Hippo Hands are the original motorcycle hand cover. They keep hands warm and dry while riding in inclement weather by shedding wind, rain, sleet and snow. Ride with warm hands on cold days. Extend your riding season!

2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

A lot depends on if you live closer to Alpine or El Paso.

In either case, NOAA (NOT the Farmer's Almanac) predicts a La Nina Winter with very little precipitation in the SW US -- and warmer that average temperatures.

The worst you will have to deal with is the cold, but like I said, a lot depends on if you live closer to Alpine or El Paso.
            sigpic
            '77 GS550B
            '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
              Someone else mentioned Hippo hands, I'm going to get some for my new DR650, even with heated grips my hands get cold, so I'm going to try them out.

Hippo Hands are the original motorcycle hand cover. They keep hands warm and dry while riding in inclement weather by shedding wind, rain, sleet and snow. Ride with warm hands on cold days. Extend your riding season!

I ride with some off brand hippo hands. They work pretty well. Took some time to get used to, and it makes it hard to wave at other riders, so you have to do the head nod instead. Mine is probably less sturdy than the hippo hands, but easier because mirrors get in the way.

GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Myweirdaccent View Post
                Without boring you to much with details, here's some abbreviated backstory:

Wife has had chronic medical issues since giving birth last year not covered by health insurance.
                We have one minivan due to having 2 kids)
                I have my 82 gs650l, I've had it for almost 10 years.
                We live in western Texas where winters are usually mild, last year being the exception with snowmageddon.

I had planned on putting the bike away for the winter to go through the carbs and do some other maintenance. However it seems that i will have to ride it through the winter.

What if anything can i do to make winter driving safer/more enjoyable?
                Fit w context i live about 3 miles from work.

Thanks for any tips!
                3 miles shouldn't be much of a problem.
                I spent 4 years with only a bike in Albuquerque back in the 80's. Part of that time I lived about 3 miles from work. Mostly just rode in, didn't have any special gear other than some insulated Caster gloves. A set of coveralls is helpful, just wear layers under that. Good waterproof insulated boots. Neck gaiter is a good idea. Have a good rainsuit. If there was snow or ice I walked, took less than an hour each way.
                I worked in sales at the time, so I was in a suit and tie. Put dress shoes in backpack, swapped when I got to work.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Noreg, that was my question too- how to get them on so they don't interfere... it seems tricky or awfully bulky getting them over and around the master cylinder and mirrors. I gave up a plan of making some...and went on to an idea (that I dropped) of just making a kind of wind-screen/bark buster to keep the wind off- It's that wind that chills my fingers, especially on the front-facing tips.

Comment

FIRST - WINDSCREEN - the longer the better - keep that core warm -

Get these Wrap Chaps for your legs --
                    Easy to use - and they work for me down to 25 degrees - Colder than that I take the car

Wrap-Chaps & Knee-Necks, Suffield, Connecticut. 60 likes. Retail company

Get a heated jacket liner (sleeves) and the gloves -

A balaclava or at least a headband worn around your neck
                    A Full face helmet will be great as well

Most of this you can do on a budget - Check Cycle Gear for the heated gear

3 miles is doable anytime you can get enough traction to stay upright

Heck - the bike won't even warm up before you get home
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

3 mile is nothing in cold weather the bike will just be warming up. Using heated vests and gloves could be problematic for the bike. If you in stop go traffic the charging system will have trouble keeping up due to low revs.

A quality set of thermals/longjohns, a good leather jacket, (big enough that you can wear your thermals and another layer or 2 of a lined shirt/jacket with a good woolen jersey.

Here is a pic of me and my ride, (back in 96 as i live in the tropics now), when i was in New Zealand. The rain gear kept out the wind and rain, (worst wet ride was 2 hours in the pouring rain and speeds got real low at times due to visibility), and water had gone down the front and i didn't notice it till i got to my destination.

Done a lot of rides starting early morning with frosts on the ground and the gear was good enough that i felt the cold, (definatly not an issue), but it never got into the bones as the wind never got through the gear...........if wind gets trough it ups the chill factor.

If your 3 miles is on an open road then you will be there in no time and the gear will be more than sufficient.
                      scan0006 copyright.jpg
                      those gloves were army surplus German army with a lining. Water would get through and they did get uncomfortable but again, my hands never got cold enough that it was a problem. I had a thick silk scarf that was great for my neck but these days a thermal balaclava or neck guard and definitely a full face helmet

a good set of gauntlet gloves that cover the sleeve opening and heated grips as a min, (wont draw much from the battery), will up the comfort.

It comes down to how much you are going to spend as well.

A good shield will help immensely.
                      82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                      Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                      Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                      Albums

Comment

I rode this one when it was new in 73. Beginning of March to end of November. Always expecting water patches on the road from melting snow to be frozen. Old habits may be why I'm still alive today.
                        Attached Files
                        1986 1150EF
                        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                          ...Heck - the bike won't even warm up before you get home
                          Originally posted by 650Skull View Post
                          3 mile is nothing in cold weather the bike will just be warming up. Using heated vests and gloves could be problematic for the bike. If you in stop go traffic the charging system will have trouble keeping up due to low revs....
                          These are good points. One thing the 1000S taught me, since it has an oil temp gauge, it how surprisingly long is takes for an air cooled engine to fully warm up in cooler weather. 30 minutes or more.
                          And short runs and cold temps are tough on batteries too.
                          So it will be a really good idea to take the bike out on a little longer ride every week or two, when you catch a day that's warm enough.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Another consideration when getting ready is to put your boots and leggings on. Start the bike and let it idle while you put the rest of the gear on and strap any gear to the bike. Even 3 or 4 min idling will warm the oil a bit.............if you find that it still needs to warm up a bit longer start the bike before putting the bike gear and boots on.

some perspective

3 miles
                            If you average 20mph the journey will take 8.5 min

If you average 30mph the journey will take 6 min.

If you average 50mph the journey will take 3.3 min.

In cold, (i consider cold weather to be frosty mornings at least), looking at that graph the bike needs to be started before putting on your gear.

And as Rich mentions the bike needs to have a good run regularly to top up the battery and to get the oil nice and hot to burn off any condensation that will collect in the sump due to short rides where the engine wont get to operating temperature..........

Of course you can always do a few extra miles on the way home when the weather is favorable. Also means you can spend that time on family duties on the weekend if you wife needs help......win,win
                            Last edited by 650Skull; 11-10-2021, 07:28 PM.
                            82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                            Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                            Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                            Albums

Comment

"Pinlock" visor is a must for me on a full-face helmet but there are antifog condiments to try too. Or open the visor a tiny crack...some helmets have thoughtfully put their detentes to not open too wide.
                              Or pick up a 3/4 helmet and a neck-dicky or balaclava that pulls over your chin. You will want a separate over-sized winter helmet to suit the fit of a balaclava if this is your life long term.
                              (I'm quite pleased with my mitten mod tried yesterday.T'was just a ground frost but a big improvement over the winter gloves and no worse flexibly.)
                              Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-11-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

If it's not icy, you can stand just about any temps with proper gear and prep. I once rode to work at -17F just to see if I could. About five miles.

Three miles is a pretty easy walk, so that's always a perfectly good option.

Don't take chances with ice and snow; your family needs you.

A GS may not have enough electrical capacity to run electric clothing like heated grips and maybe gloves, especially if there's much stop and go. If you go this route, make sure you have a volt meter and your charging system is in tiptop shape. You might be able to run a vest if it's all highway. Or look into battery powered heated clothing; charge it up at home and you should easily be able to get back and forth to work.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X