Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaveR
    replied
    Some good observations and suggestions guys. Thanks.

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
    I think using a retractable caster like this would be beneficial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX7HL9G...roduct_details
    The retractable castors would be slick and make the loading much safer. Nice.

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
    Getting it on the side stand by myself is somewhat scary ....right Dave.
    Yup, the potential for a really stupid outcome was clear. 140lb. guy with skinny arms balancing and moving a 400lb. bike

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
    The wing bits are a nightmarish weak point are the just screwed in place?
    The wings are screwed/glued and have a screwed/glued crossways 2x4 cleat underneath. Its just visible in the pic.

Leave a comment:

• Cipher
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveR View Post
    It couldn't be much simpler.

A 2x10, a piece of 4x4 and 3 - 3'' swivel castors.

Is that a two by ten? Buying a 16 inch board would probably require taking out a mortgage but
    The wing bits are a nightmarish weak point are the just screwed in place?
    I would use 1/2 inch plywood cut to the current outline overlay then
    Glued and screwed
    The crack in the piece with the tiedown has been halved in strength by the hole through it aside from the crack.
    A steel eyelet inserted vertically with a washer or plate as a load spreader maybe?

Also the wheels could be better oriented flush mounted and the front bit modded to accommodate that change.
    Being lower would make getting the bike on easier. You could also incorporate a lever to lift that could be made to lock in place.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy
    replied
    Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
    I think you just solved one of my small garage problems. Thank you!

EDIT:

So after looking at your picture some more and thinking about it getting the bike on/off the dolly safely, I think using a retractable caster like this would be beneficial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX7HL9G...roduct_details

Those casters would allow the dolly to sit on the floor while loading and while putting the bike on the center stand. Then just put the casters down when you need to move the bike. I have these particular casters on one of my heavy work benches and they work very well. Very sturdy for the money.
    I made something similar a few years ago and to get the bike up I just butt the front end up against some steps and use one of my car service ramps, push the bike on and then screw in place a front wheel caulk. Getting it on the side stand by myself is somewhat scary ....right Dave.

Leave a comment:

• 93Bandit
    replied
    I think you just solved one of my small garage problems. Thank you!

EDIT:

So after looking at your picture some more and thinking about it getting the bike on/off the dolly safely, I think using a retractable caster like this would be beneficial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DX7HL9G...roduct_details

Those casters would allow the dolly to sit on the floor while loading and while putting the bike on the center stand. Then just put the casters down when you need to move the bike. I have these particular casters on one of my heavy work benches and they work very well. Very sturdy for the money.
    Last edited by 93Bandit; 11-24-2021, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ptegsotic
    replied
    Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this Dave. I think it's just great
    100% . what a great way to scoot project around in garage. thumbs up

Leave a comment:

• RustyTank
    replied
    Thanks so much for posting this Dave. I think it's just great

Leave a comment:

• DaveR
    replied
    That's a good question Bob.

The front needs to be butted against a wall.
    The last time I loaded it, some wood blocks were placed under the ends of the 4x4 to stabilize it. Still a little sketchy doable.
    Two people, one on either side, make loading much easier. Makes getting the bike on the centre stand easier too.

Once the bike is on the dolly it's handy to move around the shop which works well on projects done over a long period of time.

Leave a comment:

• Baatfam
    replied
    But wait....How do you get the bike up on it???

Leave a comment:

• DaveR
    started a topic Simple project mc dolly

Simple project mc dolly

It couldn't be much simpler.

A 2x10, a piece of 4x4 and 3 - 3'' swivel castors.

Working...
X