Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Get Inside A Guage (With Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to get inside a gage

I have gotten into numerous gages, not by cutting the plastic, but by using a small straight slot screw driver,
    At the metal ring that holds the glass to the plastic body, place the screw driver at the base of metal ring next to the plastic body, slip driver under edge of metal ring and twist it to open up the metal ring just work your way around like opening a can, for about 3/4 of the way around,then the ring with the glass can be worked off, it don't look pretty, but that don't matter, when you are through doing whatever you wanted to do you can pop the glass ring combo back on the plastic body, then get a small pair of channel lock pliers (ignition size works great) and gently crimp the part of the metal ring you bent up eariler. All the bent metal is not on the ring you can see on an L model but hidden by the rubber gasket, This method leaves the sealing and integrity of the gage intact where I think glue can fail as GS's do have a vibration issue. The ring could be painted if scratched This method takes about an hour to get the glass off.
    Whatever you do,do not use a spray cleaner to clean the speedo or tach mechanism out, there appears to be a damping oil in the mechanism and when you clean that out your tach will be bouncing off 14K at about 3K actual( I suspect same with speedo) been there done that, I added a thin silicon oil to that tach but its not the same

Comment

Working...
    X