Want some more on-board storage? Dial up warning- many pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want some more on-board storage? Dial up warning- many pics

My friend Doug (aka Cragantler) came over yesterday to talk bikes and what not. While looking over the somewhat new-to-me 83 1100, he noticed a little mod I did and told me that I must share it with y'all.

With my 81 1100, I always wanted to convert to pods filters. Not for performance mind you- I mean, a stock 1100 can scare almost anyone. Mostly I wanted to have some underseat storage and of course, to be able to service the carbs easier. So I came up with an idea.

Anyone recognize the beautiful Sargent saddle? I really didn't need to show this pic, I just like to flaunt my killer saddle

Underneath lurks a secret-

Pretty simple little thing really, but the beauty is how well it fits. I took an ordinary 1 gallon plastic gas can and cut the top off. To figure the height, measure the distance between the top of the battery and the gas tank mount. Use a brand new gas can, they are only a couple of bucks. The real trick is the mount. I just so happened to have a mount originally used for a pedal bike rechargable lighting system. It's really nice, machined anodized aluminum, with a thumbwheel that fastens a quick release strap. I imagine that any bike shop could get a simaler mount or you will have to fashion your own. Here is a shot of the unit on the bench:

Here's how it goes in:

This is a view from up front- it's barely noticable unless you are looking for it:

I keep my rain gear and tools in there. I'm sure things can get wet in there if it's parked outside, maybe I'll fashion a top for it.

Finally, underseat storage on a GS!!!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Cool Is that some kind of tab holding your side cover on.

Mike

Comment

mikegs1100ez82 Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:46 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool Is that some kind of tab holding your side cover on.
      Yup. I guess I should post the details on that one too, but I've seen others do it. Basically I bought a plastic molded thumbscrew, and epoxy fixed a bolt through where the rubber tab mount used to be. Then I drilled a hole through the cover. The trick was locating the hole in the cover, 'cause if it wasn't exactly right, The thumbscrew wouldn't center the panel correctly. I used a string line taped to the gas tank and tied to the foot peg to be able to locate exactly where the hole should go. That way I could remove the panel and place the string right over the bolt- mark with a pen and replcae the cover, centerpunch a hole where the string mark is and drill away.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If your going to design a top for your new storage compartment in case of rain, I would be more worried that if it rains the pod filters will get wet. Cool mod though!!!

Comment

ToddB3 Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:51 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your going to design a top for your new storage compartment in case of rain, I would be more worried that if it rains the pod filters will get wet.
          I've been in some serious rain for long time periods and highway speeds before. Not a single problem. Personally, I think that is a myth. Keep them well oiled and you should be all set.
          Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            ToddB3 Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:51 am Post subject:

If your going to design a top for your new storage compartment in case of rain, I would be more worried that if it rains the pod filters will get wet.
            I've been in some serious rain for long time periods and highway speeds before. Not a single problem. Personally, I think that is a myth. Keep them well oiled and you should be all set.
            Agreed, at least on this style bike. I've heard some stories about other setups where the 1 and 4 pods hang out a little more, and are in the path of the run off from the tank. Pretty much like trying to run underwater. In the 1150, and 700 though, they work fine in the rain.

BTW, Nice box. I'm thinking about stealing some of my wife's tupperware, she'll never miss it. :-"

Comment

I think it is a pretty good idea too. I have some space under my seat I had never thought of using. Thanks Jethro.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

I would like to hear more about the "killer saddle". I have seen their website and have thought of maybe getting a seat done there. Is the material covering the seat waterproof? It looks like it is not.
                Clever idea with the plastic gas can.

Thanks,
                Kevan
                84 GS750 177,000kms

Comment

kevan Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:44 pm Post subject:

I would like to hear more about the "killer saddle". I have seen their website and have thought of maybe getting a seat done there. Is the material covering the seat waterproof? It looks like it is not.
                  Well, go here to see my write-up about it:

Currently bikeless

Comment

Thanks I will try the seat this spring. When you get a chance how about some pictures on the tabs.
                    Thanks Mike

Comment

When you get a chance how about some pictures on the tabs.
                      What 'chu mean? I'm not following the tabs thang'.
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

How you have your side covers attached.
                        Mike

Comment

Oh yes. I've been meaning to do a write up about how to do that really well. I'll se if I can get to it this weekend.
                          Currently bikeless

Comment

When my GS1000 had pods on it I just used the stock air box, taped the holes over to keep the outside stuff out and the inside stuff in. Also, if you want, you can use the lid to keep the top sealed and the contents nice and dry.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Jethro, I did something very similar to this to my GS1000 in 2003 since the airbox is not there any more due to running pods. I had a lot of room in there and made a glove bax to go in it.

I can take pictures if anyone would like me too?

Just ask in here.

Comment

Working...
                              X