Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More help 79 GS 1000 L carb R & R

Hey guys,
    Thanx for the info & quick relpies. Finally got the rack off. Might have did it backwards, I couldn't work the airbox out first, so worked the carb rack out & didn't appear to damage anything. Is a really tight fit. May not be so easy to get back together. Would definitely be easier if had the K&N seperate air filter pods to put on & lose the air box...Any sugestions on something to "easily" clean the "rust dust fuzzies" off the parts that won't eat the plastic floats & stuff ? Will Berryman's dip work? Already used up 2 cans of "carb & choke cleaner spray" (the good stuff w/either base). Got the varnish, but didn't touch the rusty or redish powder residue, probably left from waterery gas as it evaporated. Won't even come off w/compressed air. Guess I should've bought that rack off a running bike on ebay that went for $80.00 the other day ??
    Thanx again for your help,
    ..TJ...

I bought some carb cleaner in a 1 gal paint can at advanced auto parts,it even came with a( parts dipper).It will take off anything with an overnight dip.we used to use it in the old days when we rebuilt carbs.fairly inexpensive too.I went with the pods its much easier to fool with.It just takes some pateince to get the jetting right.I have stock 4 into 2 exhaust so I went with 120 mikuni jets. had 138 dyna's in and was way too rich.performance was great,also have run in rain and not noticed major problems as some will say, thats my 2 cents

Comment

I second the Berryman's dip. You have to remove everything from the carbs (jets, choke assembly, etc) but that doesn't take much time at all. An overnight dip and all the crap is gone, it really is amazing stuff. $15 for a can at the local auto parts store. One thing to keep in mind though is that with it being so abrasive to dirt and varnish, it will do a number on YOU. Figure out a way to keep it off you. Getting it on your skin will burn like mofo. I know this from experience ;-)

G'luck, and ask away if you have any questions. I am about to reassemble my rack, as #4 will have soaked overnight by tomorrow :-)

Comment

Splashback

If i were 2 accidently splash some of this stuff on my piles would it make my eyes water ??

Comment

Working...
        X