'83 GS850GL - Front Brakes SOFT !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS850GL - Front Brakes SOFT !

I woke the 850 this past weekend from her winter hibernation.
    Put the battery in and she started right up --- ready to go --
    As I prepared to swing my leg over I did what I always do -- squeeze the brake lever and press the foot brake -
    Just to see that I have brakes should I need them

This time -- front was really really soft --

No leaks - Stainless Steel braided lines - redone last year and worked well -
    I suspect air/moisture got into the Master and/or lines ...
    Time for a brake bleeding - bot hard with my mity-vac system -But I haven't the fresh fluid (dang it)

So it has to wait for a few days so I can get to the store and buy a can of Dot ... 3??

Now I have to look at the MC cover to be sure ...

Spring is in the air in Wisconsin (finally) - gonna be over 40 degrees most of this week

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Any of Dot 3, Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 will work. Just not Dot 5. I would be suspicious of the bleeder screws sealing if there is definitely no leaks & also check the banjo are nipped up tight
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

DOT 5.1 will work, but I must say, I don't remember ever seeing any at the local auto parts store.

"Soft" brakes can also be your rubber lines. Look at them carefully. If they are original, they will have a date printed on them. Keep in mind that Suzuki recommended replacing the brake lines and the fuel lines every two years.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
        DOT 5.1 will work, but I must say, I don't remember ever seeing any at the local auto parts store.

"Soft" brakes can also be your rubber lines. Look at them carefully. If they are original, they will have a date printed on them. Keep in mind that Suzuki recommended replacing the brake lines and the fuel lines every two years.
        The lines are NEW braided steel from one year ago -

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Any of Dot 3, Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 will work. Just not Dot 5. I would be suspicious of the bleeder screws sealing if there is definitely no leaks & also check the banjo are nipped up tight
          This is good advice - I have had to work on the 'splitter' on the front end so maybe it was a bit loose -- hmmm....a place to start looking

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Resolution: I checked all the connection points - banjo bolts, splitters, etc.
            None of them seemed to be leaking either fluids out or air in -
            So I opened a fresh can of brake fluid and did the bleed routine on both front calipers (first I suck out the old fluid from the Master Cylinder)
            I had a hard time drawing on the Right front with my MityVac and that worried me a little bit - but I resorted to the old method of operating the lever and forcing fluid out -
            When I switched to the Left front it was easy to draw fluid through - I suspect and air bubble had formed in the splitter over the winter (speculation) and I forced it out
            Went for a test run and the brakes worked perfectly -
            Now this weekend I will do the rear - just because I have a fresh can of brake juice open and then I will know it is fresh all around

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Working...
            X