Sonic springs measurement taking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonic springs measurement taking

In the process of installing Sonic springs in my forks I stumbled upon the fact that in the instructions the fork style they are using is a threaded cap that sits flush at the top of the stanchion tube while I have a cap that is held in by a circlip and sits down in the tube atleast a quarter inch.

When setting the preload it says to set up a piece of the spacer so the fork cap is atleast 25mm above the top of the stanchion tube and then you want to pull up on the stanchion tube until it stops and measure the distance between the top of the tube and the flange where it sits on the fork cap, the example is 36mm and the correct preload should be 15-16mm, so you would minus the 36mm measurement by 20mm for the correct preload of 15-16mm

My main question is since I have the circlip style forks will I need to measure from where the cap sits inside the tube instead of the top of the tube to make up for the difference?

also am I pulling up on the stanchion tube until I know I have a 15mm preload from where the cap is installed or until it actually stops compressing and measure 15 mm from that point, it's still a bit unclear for me on how to get it right but that's why Im asking on here
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650
Working...
X