Sonic Springs alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonic Springs alternative

Howdy all, I'm on a part-ordering rampage so I decided to add fork rebuild parts to the list.

I recently read a thread somewhere talking about a recent bad experience with Sonic Springs, something about poor communication and a very long wait time. They also mentioned a good alternative to sonic springs in that thread. I cannot find it for the life of me, I've been scouring the forums for quite some time this evening.

Can anyone provide the information I'm looking for? Has Sonic Springs gotten better since then, or should I be looking elsewhere for springs? If so, what brand?

Thanks!
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

I'd give them a try, but on a short leash. Race Tech sells fork springs, and of course, Progressive.
    Last edited by Nessism; 08-20-2022, 09:08 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Race Tech in mine. No problems, just account for mid-life weight gain.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

What bike do you want them for? I might have a set of progressive on the shelf. I think they are the 1100 ones but from memory they fit a bunch of models with the 37mm forks just with different spacer lengths.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Race Tech in mine. No problems, just account for mid-life weight gain.
          Ha! I current weigh my mid-life weight
          But good point.
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            What bike do you want them for? I might have a set of progressive on the shelf. I think they are the 1100 ones but from memory they fit a bunch of models with the 37mm forks just with different spacer lengths.
            My 83 GS850GL. It's the only bike I have left.

Comment

That's a 37mm fork. If you want me to search the shelves let me know. From memory of my analysis of the Progressive spring, when the close wound spring section binds (closes up completely) the rest of the spring equates to about a 50lb straight weight spring (similar to the Sonic recommended spring rate).

One of my ideas was to cut off most of the closely wound section & use a bigger spacer (I've done that successfully with stock springs but that only gets you to about 42-45lb straight rate from memory) but as I'm a lightweight that would probably be too much spring for me.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That's a 37mm fork. If you want me to search the shelves let me know. From memory of my analysis of the Progressive spring, when the close wound spring section binds (closes up completely) the rest of the spring equates to about a 50lb straight weight spring (similar to the Sonic recommended spring rate).

One of my ideas was to cut off most of the closely wound section & use a bigger spacer (I've done that successfully with stock springs but that only gets you to about 42-45lb straight rate from memory) but as I'm a lightweight that would probably be too much spring for me.

Thanks for getting back with me. I'd be interested depending on the price.

But, if you will, explain what all that means? I'm a total noob when it comes to spring rates and whatnot. How will the bike ride if I use those springs as is? Will I need to make spacers?

I'm around 200lbs with hopes to be cutting ~20 over the next year.

Comment

Progressive springs are about right for about 180lb or so in general. You can add extra preload in the beginning and take some out if you get down to target weight.... I think at your weight/target weight you could use a progressive spring "as is" or cut the close wound coils off to make it straight weight.

Basically the progressive one will be softer at the very start of the stroke (once it overcomes the preload & starts moving) and then firm up when those coils bind, effectively turning those coils into more spacer. At this point the other stiffer coils take over. There is a crossover where you get a bit of both but not a huge amount.

A straight weight spring is at it's best when used with cartridge emulators as you can better control the damping. That's a whole different ball of wax...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Progressive springs are about right for about 180lb or so in general. You can add extra preload in the beginning and take some out if you get down to target weight.... I think at your weight/target weight you could use a progressive spring "as is" or cut the close wound coils off to make it straight weight.

Basically the progressive one will be softer at the very start of the stroke (once it overcomes the preload & starts moving) and then firm up when those coils bind, effectively turning those coils into more spacer. At this point the other stiffer coils take over. There is a crossover where you get a bit of both but not a huge amount.

A straight weight spring is at it's best when used with cartridge emulators as you can better control the damping. That's a whole different ball of wax...
                    OK, so progressive springs are ideal for something that just road trip on, no racing or off roading? If that's the case, sounds like that is what I need.

What's your price, shipped to 48473?

Comment

I'll have to check I still have them but guessing it'll be about $15 to ship them so in that case how about $65?
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yep got them. Amazingly still in the progressive box with instructions etc. Part number 11-1106. There are no spacers in the box but ABS schedule 40 pipe works great for that. Cheap and easy to work with. Usually I put a metal washer between the ABS & the spring and another one on top. I used to have a stash but I can't find them. There is one in the box though that will give you an idea what to pick up.

Cheers,

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Can the factory spacers be used or does the progressive spring need a longer one? I would like to try using the spring as is, without cutting or precompressing the tight coils.

Comment

I don't know exactly for your bike. You'd have to compare the stock spring & spacer stack against these ones and make a decision from there. The rule of thumb is the spring should just reach the top of the fork when fully extended. That gives about 3/4" preload when you screw the fork caps on. Then you tune from there.

My guess is you'd want a bit extra preload for your current weight. Maybe another 1/2"-1". When you add a lot of preload it's really difficult to screw the fork caps back in.

The progressive springs are 420mm or 16.5" long measuring them in the box.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                            X