1985 GS550ESF Speedometer Inaccurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550ESF Speedometer Inaccurate

Hey guys I have a 1985 GS550ESF and the speedo reads about 7-10mph slow. I have a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 the correct size per the manual and decal on the bike. I would have to check the sidewall again for an exact size. I have tried another speedometer and it reads the same. Im assuming its not the speedo. Anyone have experience with incorrect speedometers? Also the trip meter does not work.

All speedos are 'incorrect,' (unless. they bear a "police certified" label). You say 7-10 mph slow, but at what speed? If it were that much off at displayed 20 mph, that would be a lot. But if it displayed 120 mph at an actual speed of 113, that would be pretty much in line with production bikes (or cars), which are always 'optimistic.'

But it sounds like yours is 'optimistic.'
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

At 25mph I'm going 30mph. Indicated 50mph I'm going 60mph. It just seems a bit excessive to me. I have other bikes that are more accurate

Comment

My 1000E is off by 8 mph only the opposite of yours. Indicated 80 is actually 72. So to see triple digits, which I like doing , I need to see 108+ on my speedo.

Maybe we should park our bikes in a locked garage for a few days and see if they can arrive at a happy medium.

I am not suggesting safe sex between the two machines. Not there's anything wrong with that.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
          Hey guys I have a 1985 GS550ESF and the speedo reads about 7-10mph slow. I have a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 the correct size per the manual and decal on the bike. I would have to check the sidewall again for an exact size. I have tried another speedometer and it reads the same. Im assuming its not the speedo. Anyone have experience with incorrect speedometers? Also the trip meter does not work.
          Too bad-the tripmeter is your best fuel gauge. It might be fixable taking the gauge apart but I wouldn't recommend it...Best if you can find a good second-hand replacement... With the normal tires, the odometer and the tripmeter (if it works) are the only accurate device on these speedometers because they are directly driven by the cable. The speedo needle is magnetically driven.

Maybe the Newest vehicles might have accurate speedometers, but I've never had any vehicle with original speedo that didn't read at least 5% high compared to the odometer on a measured mile or a gps on a long straightaway or the roadside displays they put up to discourage speeding.

Comment

Working...
          X