Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks leaking after new seals!

Hello guys and gals!

I was wondering if anyone had any quick tips and pointers for fork seals. I have done over 10 of these jobs within the past 2 years on multiple bikes, and twice over the summer for GS. I just did the forks for My 1000G and she leaks like crazy just parked on the garage with no air in them!

Seals Used: K&L made in Japan
    Oil Used: 251ml of bel ray fork oil each leg

I took my time with removal of old seals and installation of new ones...

Problem: oil is seeping past the seal (part that touches the chrome forks) and leaking on to the Floor. Large puddles not just 1 or 2 drops

Additionally: there are no rough spots or pitting on the forks themselves

Drove the seal into the seats via a socket with the same exact diameter as the other seal with multiple evenly distributed light taps. I have done my 1000E the same way.

I saw someone in the Facebook group who had the same issue and he used OEM seals twice (re did his forks because of the same issue but no solution)

What am I missing?? Has anyone run into this? I have brand new fork seals ready to go again for the second time. I have a feeling it wont solve my problem... Should i just use them in my spare set of forks for better luck? Thanks mates.
    Last edited by GabrielGoes; 10-07-2022, 11:53 AM.
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

I had forks that leaked just sitting there and they were overfilled. There was a mistake in the amount specified in a Chiltons manual, specifying for an earlier model bike. It was only about an ounce too much. It stopped after I drained and refilled with proper amount. Since you specified the amount you put in this is likely not the case here, but did you drain at screw or disassemble the forks? Draining at screw must leave some residual and maybe it's enough to overdo things.

I was expecting that if the forks leaked just sitting there with too much, then they also would when in action, but so far that's not the case. Just a thought.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
      I had forks that leaked just sitting there and they were overfilled. There was a mistake in the amount specified in a Chiltons manual, specifying for an earlier model bike. It was only about an ounce too much. It stopped after I drained and refilled with proper amount. Since you specified the amount you put in this is likely not the case here, but did you drain at screw or disassemble the forks? Draining at screw must leave some residual and maybe it's enough to overdo things.

I was expecting that if the forks leaked just sitting there with too much, then they also would when in action, but so far that's not the case. Just a thought.
      Yeah absolutely drained every ml out of this thing, let it drain form bottom bolt, I then spray it out with wd40 and let them dry for a day until there is no more fluid in the lower legs.

I believe my bushings are shot, I am trying another set of lower legs and will report

Comment

I was going to suggest checking the bushings, I think you're on the right path.
        1986 1150EF
        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

If the bushings are shot, check the bottom ones too, the seals won't hold. They can hold with a little wear but once past a certain point, they get oblong and leak, just from the bike sitting there. Try and see if you can order the Nylon (or whatever they are made of) sliders, and rebuild. You will notice the front end tighten up substantially too.

Comment

I installed one of mine upside down a few years ago. It didn't leak while sittng, but the fork leg was wet within a few miles.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Installed one upside down???...What was worse the leak or the embarrassment of finding installed it upside down
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I don't mean to high jack the thread, but what do you do if the bushings are shot and there are none available for your model? Just have leaky forks???
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Installed one upside down???...What was worse the leak or the embarrassment of finding installed it upside down
                  No embarrassment, just a lesson learned. I posted about here. Good news was that doing it the second time took about a third of the time as the first go.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yep, good lesson learned. I'd bet it don't happen to you again
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                      I don't mean to high jack the thread, but what do you do if the bushings are shot and there are none available for your model? Just have leaky forks???
                      I guess we're just SOL until we get new lowers lol.

New Lower Legs resolved my issue btw.

Comment

Using your milling machine, and make new ones. That's what I did. Kind of joking here, but if you have the old ones, you can probably have a shop mill you a set cheap, they just have to work, not look pretty I did make my own though. I used a radius gauge to guess at what the radius should be, and with the gauge up against the part, you could see the "out of round" worn part.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                          Using your milling machine, and make new ones. That's what I did. Kind of joking here, but if you have the old ones, you can probably have a shop mill you a set cheap, they just have to work, not look pretty I did make my own though. I used a radius gauge to guess at what the radius should be, and with the gauge up against the part, you could see the "out of round" worn part.
                          Brilliant. Saved for the future.

Comment

I have a 1980 GS1100L and exactly the same problem; replaced seals with K & N's, measured oil carefully according to book, leaks sitting still. Thought I had the bike sold but buyer had financial reverse so got it back. Need to get that seal fixed so I can offer it again. Like the bike, but too tall for me when I stop and dismount. Have a 1995 Magna 750 now and not enough room in the garage.

Comment

The inner bushings were shot on mine. As far as I know the only solution is to find another set of lower legs

Comment

Working...
                              X