GS1000 Front Caliper up grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Front Caliper up grade

Hi all, I’m currently re commissioning a 1979 GS1000E, I’m very interested in improving the stopping power but have a very limited budget.
    I’ve tried following the various threads of which there are many but it’s difficult to find specific GS1000 caliper change out information.
    Has anyone found any alternative later Suzuki models which might provide calipers and (but only a secondary consideration) possibly rotors and or master cylinder.
    I’ve been looking at GSX1100EZ/ES calipers which look very similar and are available at good prices and I believe some Honda (models?) rotors at 296mm which might bolt straight on.
    Thanks in advance but would appreciate GS1000 specific information and in particular from people who have actually found alternative calipers which brought an improvement
    cheers desi

A budget upgrade is to replace the hockey-puck 79 calipers with ones from an 80/81/82 GS1000, 850, and quite probably 1100. Get the non-L model ones, as the caliper brackets are different. They're a bolt-on fit and work much better, especially when paired with stainless flexy lines and a modern master cylinder. I use the Nissin m/c as fitted to the Deauville - same 5/8" bore, but span-adjustable and better ergos.
    Make sure you get a pair of low-mileage calipers, as high mileage takes its toll on the slider pins and the holes they slide in. This wear makes for a lot of lost motion at the m/c, and it's something you really don't want.
    I also recommend Carbon Lorraine pads, but almost any modern pad of decent make is better than the ancient ones.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The link below in my signature shows you one for the GS1000.

Honda CBR Rotors of the correct year, Ninja or SV calipers & a bracket and spacer kit (hub spacer is also a drilling template for some of the rotors) are all you need. I do have some on my shelf if you need some.

Here it is. Not easy to see the signatures sometimes in this new forum format.....

EDIT 1/1/2023 - Yes I have a few sets of brackets/spacers/hub spacers left - Price is $104 shipped Priority in the USA. Most other countries tend to be around $125-$130 shipped 1st class package. Newest brackets also allow the new Ninja EX650 Tokico calipers to be fitted as well as SV650 & DL650. Just some pics of the
      Last edited by salty_monk; 12-16-2022, 06:38 PM.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Salty Monk upgrade on my '78.
        Big improvement in stopping power[steel lines went on later] and improved the looks as well.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

does this upgrade work with leading axle forks like on a 1980 gs1100e

Comment

No it doesn't. There has never been enough demand to work out the bracket sizing for it. A couple of people have done it by using the spacers from the set I have and then bolting it up and working out from there how the bracket needs to change & then cutting their own.

I have a pretty good idea of what that bracket looks like but no hard data or template, I've never owned a GS with leading axle forks.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I think the leading axle was only on the "L" models. Leading front axles are usually used on larger front tires to help with the center line of the axle bolt to the center line of the steering stem offset.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                I think the leading axle was only on the "L" models. Leading front axles are usually used on larger front tires to help with the center line of the axle bolt to the center line of the steering stem offset.
                I think HHART means the 1980 16 valve (called GSX1100ET in Europe)

3eff79_aeafea7c1c654ab8a171890fba70bfbc~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Beautiful bike ...

3eff79_5d341ced3e5f412c95728494ab46b09e~mv2_d_3385_2539_s_4_2.jpg
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                    Wrong! I've got a 1981 GS1100E and it has the leading axle forks stock!
                    Ron
                    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Can you use the original discs with the other calipers?

Thanks Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Ukcalling View Post
                        Can you use the original discs with the other calipers?

Thanks Nick
                        In the case of the 80 to 79 swap (post 2), yes.
                        Not sure about Salty Monk's.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post

Wrong! I've got a 1981 GS1100E and it has the leading axle forks stock!
                          I said "I think........" but the offset information and why it is done is spot on. Actually, the post is spot on, as I spoke to the diameter of the rims. You rim is the same as the "L" model. Your front tire has a larger 19" diameter rim. Same as the "L" model. Check a few years later, when the rim diameter decreased and the fork went to the bottom of the lowers, on center. Please read threads more thoroughly, know your bike, and then you will understand the relevancy of what your post may have, if any.

Comment

Thanks for the reply - it was salty monks mod I was keen to understand if could use standard discs as just fitted new etc ones

Thanks Nick

Comment

From memory you need to use the post 80 disks if you use the later square pad calipers. For me there is no reason other than originality on a show bike to use the original ones, especially the early round pad setup.
                              The upgrade difference is immense & modern traffic isn't getting any better.... plus it's fully reversible if ever it was needed, box them up & store in the loft.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                              X