83 GS1100E swingarm on GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100E swingarm on GS1000E

I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times. I am in the process of bolting the shocks up on my 78 1000e that has an 83 GS 1100e swingarm. The swingarm is hitting the frame. So its not allowing me to bolt the shocks up. Does the frame have to widened a touch for proper clearance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by White79bu; 01-13-2023, 05:22 PM.

It's been a long time, but I don't remember anything but just bolting the 1100 swingarm in, didn't hit anything. I did need to use the 1100 chain guard.... Unless I've forgot....
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Its definitely hitting.

Comment

Curious... is it hitting both sides? Does the 1000 take the 16mm bolt or did you drill out the boss'.
        Last edited by allojohn; 01-13-2023, 05:47 PM.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I had the same issue with one of the GS1000 bikes.
          The GS1100E swingarm hit the loops on both sides.
          On 3 other GS1000 frames it would fit without a problem.
          Last edited by Rijko; 01-13-2023, 06:17 PM.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

It is hitting the footage loops. I used the same bolt that the GS1100E swingarm came with. Went in with zero issues. I didnt drill anything. I was under the impression it was a straight bolt on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Rijko, what did you do with the frame that it was hitting?

Comment

Originally posted by White79bu View Post
                Rijko, what did you do with the frame that it was hitting?
                I bent the frame loops, made a big lever arm i bolted loosely to the hanger hole and a hoop around the frame loop tube to apply bending pressure where needed, using a torch to heat up the area i was bending.
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I'll have to come up with something. I don't have a set of torches lol.

Comment

Is grinding an option or is there too much material to remove?
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Is it hitting those footpeg support loops at the back? Have a vague recollection that I've experienced that before.....

Get a scissor jack... Put it horizontally between the loops with some 2x4's for packing each side. Wind the jack. If you only want it to push one side find a way to reinforce the other side. You may also want to strap (tie downs work) across bit of the frame that might also be effected that you don't want to be effected. With some careful planning and application it works great...
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Scissor jack and a small hardware store touch are currently working. Exhaust side has been a pain in the butt.

Comment

Blocks of wood and scissor jack as said, and a whack on the frame at foot peg hoop welds with a rubber mallet. No heat needed, that's what I did to fit mine. Obviously if the bike has been dropped on either side it could have pushed the hoop in.
                          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                            Blocks of wood and scissor jack as said, and a whack on the frame at foot peg hoop welds with a rubber mallet. No heat needed, that's what I did to fit mine. Obviously if the bike has been dropped on either side it could have pushed the hoop in.
                            yup. did the exact same thing with my 78. after tweaking things, the 83 1100e singarm worked great
                            83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Scissor jack worked for me.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X