Debunking the tire age myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debunking the tire age myth

Here's an interesting video that come across my news feed this morning about tire age. It shows a guy testing a brand new set of tires vs a seven year old set on a track bike and finding no difference in the amount of grip.

it serves to show what I've been saying for years, truth is more a function of what people say amongst each other regardless of the facts! Get ready for the "whatabouts" after seeing this, another common theme when "truths" are debunked.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Of course there are "whatabouts." It's because they are valid. Such as, how was the 7-year-old tire stored?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Of course there are "whatabouts." It's because they are valid. Such as, how was the 7-year-old tire stored?
      Uh, I'm pretty sure he covered that in the video.

Comment

In about 2015 I bought a rear wheel just to have another spare ready to fit. Like many wheels you see for sale, the seller wasn't willing to strip the tyre off it, but the price and the shipping was cheap, so I went ahead with it.
        When it arrived I was surprised to see that the tyre was an almost unused Conti Blitz. I carefully examined it for dry rot and any other defects, but found none.
        It eventually wore out, but turned evil during the last couple of hundred miles, when there was still at least a good thousand miles of tread left, so I binned it then.
        I counted that as a bonus buy - never did figure out the DOT code, because it was only a 3-digit one.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Open air vehicle pools use covers for tires.
          sunshine and heat are nasty to everything.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

We used to get tires that you could see were left in Sunshine. I think that a lot of tires people think are new are in fact a lot older than you may think. The Pirelli Diablo's smelled, and had a film on them that made them feel they just popped out of the mold.

Gotta agree with Nessism​ here, how they are stored makes a huge difference. My bikes in my Barn, which breaths, but has no Sunlight keeps the tires are great.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              I counted that as a bonus buy - never did figure out the DOT code, because it was only a 3-digit one.
              That's because it was stored in an environment SO perfect that tire scientists use it today in order to calibrate their instruments.

Comment

How old does a tire have to be to not have the 4 digit date code?
                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                  From the ancient times, before Al Gore invented the internet (pre 2000)

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                    20th century, they dropped the 19, so you get the year 9, and week 00, for 1999.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I suppose what it boils down to is that if you are putting your neck on the line, who do you trust more.
                      I've ridden a set of practically new Pirelli Street Demons this year that are at least ten years old with no complaints but were for most of that time stored in a dark corner of the garage.
                      Green light does not mean safe no more than red means no go. There is a long German word I forget which means, in essence, finger feel it to know.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                        Here's an interesting video that come across my news feed this morning about tire age. It shows a guy testing a brand new set of tires vs a seven year old set on a track bike and finding no difference in the amount of grip.

it serves to show what I've been saying for years, truth is more a function of what people say amongst each other regardless of the facts! Get ready for the "whatabouts" after seeing this, another common theme when "truths" are debunked.

https://youtu.be/WwbLt8vZH5w
                        Kool video, I feel better. Thanks a bunch!
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Just a funny aside - my '82 Mr Turbo came with the original Bridgestone 'Mag Mopus' with nubs still on. Stored in a garage all those years and no visible cracks or rot. I used them to roll the bike around the garage while I worked on the 18" EPMs, hacksawing off the Goodyear slicks. Those originals have been good on a museum piece perhaps but they're long gone now. Very tough to pry off. Those pristine '82 rims with brand new '82 sprocket fit perfectly on my 79 GS1000E
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Finger fühlen es zu wissen.​ is the phrase I believe you are looking for.

Comment

Ich könnte hier etwas Schmutziges sagen, aber ich werde es nicht tun.​ LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X