X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

Yeah, and I'll be swearing allegiance.
    As soon as I see a flying pig.
    Same feeling here in the Province of Quebec I see you are from Ireland so I don't need to ask

Okay back on topic, I was super lucky today, I found one particular prybar in my masonry(!) tools that was perfect for tapping out the lower race. Steering bearing replacement a success!

Made some errors during reassembly (bad cable routing, bad guessing, oil spills, etc) that made it a fun journey with my old and very patient dad.

On the other hand I never been able to dissassemble the fork. I guess i will have to order some impact-ready hex key.
    I had already drained the oil so I had to refill using a syringe with a little tube attached that I inserted in the drain hole, holding it at 45 degrees while filling. I put 160 ml of 15W in each fork and used a small bicycle pump to put around 20 psi in each fork. I'll have to see after a few gas tanks how that oil and air holds up. The 20 miles test ride went great and I could see some improvement on the handling especially when braking hard, but not so much on the ride itself.

I am very confused with fork disassembly, on my fork when I try to remove the bottom 6mm hex screw nothing moves at all (I mean can't break the screw loose at all but there are no parts that turn freely that I need to immobilize, seemingly). I did remove the snap ring and hoped the things under it would pop out but I guess that 6mm screw at the bottom is the problem anyway.
    Here is some pictures
    snapringfork.jpg
    When trying to unscrew the 6mm bottom hex screw I expected the silver part of the fork to want to turn with it but I just hold the black part of the fork and ...don't have enough hand torque to release it (unless I get my hand on an impact 6mm hex key? is that it?)
    There's some basic I don't understand and need to be explained perhaps?

LAST EDIT: A search for fork disassembly leads to many informative reads but if anyone want to point me to a discussion they remember that would help you are very welcome

Last edited by Mat; 05-07-2023, 06:06 AM.
    1983 GS400E - Canada specific
    Noobie mechanic with some determination

Comment

Working...
    X