X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
    Talk to Thor. He is the man.
    http://evolutionsuspensionproducts.com/
    It arrived today. I'll install it this week some time. Spoke with him a few times and it sounds like they had no troubles with the rebuild. Thanks again for the suggestion.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like brand new. Well done Sir.
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

He did a really nice job with it. Once I have it mounted and put a few miles on it, I'll report back how it rides. May have to wash the bike so it doesn't look out of place.

Comment

Wow, that didn't take long.
          A couple weeks including shipping?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

19 days with shipping. Very good service.

Comment

Thor's rebuild has worked out nice. Rides like a new bike again. No signs of any leaks.

As a side note, the glass inside of one of the mirrors had broke loose and I had filled it with expanding foam to stabilize it. Over the years the foam attacked the chrome plating and it was in pretty poor condition. Rather than hunt down a good used mirror, I bought a set of these replicas and was surprised how well they copied the original design. I could have left the one good mirror on the bike and it would not seem out of place other than one being clean. Quality seem decent.

Comment

How about a picture of the bike?
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  How about a picture of the bike?
                  Sure, shown with dirt and all. It's just a stock bike. I bought it brand new and it's my daily driver. After almost 30 years of owning it, there are a few things to note. The bike always started hard and would not run at cold temps. 40F was about it. A while back it started having an intermittent miss. I thought ignition but everything checked out. Then I thought fuel but couldn't find anything wrong. The problem got worse where cylinders would drop out and it eventually hard failed. I then found a coil had failed. I hunted down a couple of used coils and ran them on the bench before installing. Once I replaced it, the bike seemed to run better than it ever had. Anymore the bike will run in temps well below 40F and the rider is the limiting factor. Also, this bike ate plugs. I would almost bet on a new set once a season. They would always foul. After changing the the coil, it's never had a plug foul. I think that one coil was defective from the factory.

The water pump started to leak around 15,000 miles or so. Installed new parts and it's been fine. Recently I had to rebuild the starter motor ( brushed, springs, cleaning and lube) but no other electrical problems. Well, I did have a spider build a nest inside the starter switch that I needed to clean out....

Biggest problem early on was tire selection. Original tires would only last a couple thousand miles. After several sets, I went up on the hardness. Tires lasted much longer and I was never a good enough rider to need that softer compound. After we started using Shinko tires, I wondered how their street products worked. These are on the bike shown and are about due. They stick better than I can ride. I ordered a set of stock tires (harder) again because I could not get the Shinko's with COVID and supply chain issue.

I replaced the original chain and sprockets. I put stock sprockets on but switched to an EK X chain. I have used EK for several years and wanted to try one of their street products. It has 10,000 or so miles on it now and is holding up fine.

Also shown, Thor's rebuild and one of the new clone mirrors.

Sorry, site only allows 1 photo.
                  94_GSXR1100W_0.jpg

Comment

Simply beautiful.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks.

I had posted how I had taken about 5 hours to replace the glass on the headlight of this bike after a car had kicked up a rock that shattered it. Lots of work with a propane torch to reheat the glue but it is certainly possible. The lower fairing has been replaced a few time and then repainted. This is why the 1100 decals are missing. I've gone sliding with is a few times over the years. The black exposed plastic near the headlamp is a direct result of when I start thinking I am a better rider than I am! 94_GSXR1100W_3.jpg

Comment

I lusted after it when it first came out (1988?). Cycle World said they had to lower the front suspension just to get a 1/4 mile time on it. There was no way they could keep the front wheel on the ground otherwise. That was back before liquid cooling, something they called SACS (Suzuki Advanced Cooling System), oil and air cooled. I seem to recall the tach didn't even go below 3k.

I never did ride one, but I like to think I came close. A GSX-1100 (called GS-1100E in the U.S.) sits in my living room. And it doesn't have a centerstand, so I can fantasize.

Comment

This bike was around 150HP new. At 560 wet, it's a heavy. I think my ESD was 108HP and around the same weight. I've never had the GSXR to the track to see how well it would perform with a fat rider like me on it. It has a hydraulic clutch which would be the first thing to go. Then it never ends... I haven't been to a track in many years and understand few, if any, are 1/4 due to insurance costs, down times....

Looks like this article claimed 111. I think the manual was 108 though.
                          Last edited by joequesmith; 06-18-2023, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X