Pirelli tire bead issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirelli tire bead issue

Ok, decided to try a Pirelli Sport Demon on my 1100G.
    Bummer, the bead would never sit right. Tried all the tricks, but looks like a tire fail.
    No tire should be so hard to mount, so decided to go back to using Shinko 712R.
    I'm sure I been riding with the Pirelli improperly mounted for the last 1220 miles.
    I've had great consistent results from Shinko 712R tires.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

More info please. How and when did you find it wasn't right. Had it shown problems in that 1220 mi.?
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I don't get this. I just mounted some Pirelli Diablo II's on my ZZR1200. Not harder to do than any other tire?

Comment

The tire seemed ok until this week. Worked well on the roads.
        The bike had been sitting for a week until I rolled it out for inspection before a ride.
        Tire was very low and would not hold air, then I discovered the air was leaking quickly from the rim edge.
        Worked on seating the bead a few hours, until I decided it was hopeless.
        Tire held air but, bead not truly seated.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Year of the bike? Are the rims truly designed for tubeless use? And are the tires truly designed for tubeless rims?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            The tire seemed ok until this week. Worked well on the roads.
            The bike had been sitting for a week until I rolled it out for inspection before a ride.
            Tire was very low and would not hold air, then I discovered the air was leaking quickly from the rim edge.
            Worked on seating the bead a few hours, until I decided it was hopeless.
            Tire held air but, bead not truly seated.
            Did you kink the bead wire?
            and why is Pirelli touting cross ply vs bias.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Now that's different, Did you ever see anything that indicated a problem? Usually a problem like that would show up initially. After a thousand mi. most imperfection would have kind'f "seated" itself in by then. Being a Bias ply tire it will be stiffer, we can get accustomed to the newer softer radials these days.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Back when the Dunlop 591 came out, that was one of the first bias ply touring tyres. Working in a shop which mainly sold tyres, I saw a lot of effort go in to beading them up.
                Pressures as high as 90psi were sometimes needed - even lubed.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                  Back when the Dunlop 591 came out, that was one of the first bias ply touring tyres. Working in a shop which mainly sold tyres, I saw a lot of effort go in to beading them up.
                  Pressures as high as 90psi were sometimes needed - even lubed.
                  Hey Greg, I had the psi at 100-120.
                  I did not use soap, having learned that was bad. Street tire shops in Chi and NYC used soap, but I learned here from members soap was bad.
                  I used liberal amounts of "Tire Mounting Lubricant" from NAPA.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-21-2023, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Did you try a ratchet strap around the center of the tire while airing up?

Had to that just week ago mounting a Metzeler Road Tec 01.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I did not use soap, having learned that was bad. Street tire shops in Chi and NYC used soap, but I learned here from members soap was bad.
                      Siap corrodes the wheels. Gid awful thing to use.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Fair enough, plenty of effort.
                        Back in the day here in NZ, a couple of sidecar racers used to help finance their season by selling tyre lube they'd made themselves, Under the brand name "Bear Snot"
                        It smelled foul. Memorably bad.

Comment

Wondering if you ever "saw" an indication of what caused the problem, or did everything on the tire look OK?

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Wondering if you ever "saw" an indication of what caused the problem, or did everything on the tire look OK?
                            My thought was I could grind away the inside edge of the tire a bit, just round it some. That would probably do it, but maybe not. However, WTF how about a better product?

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                              Did you try a ratchet strap around the center of the tire while airing up?

Had to that just week ago mounting a Metzeler Road Tec 01.
                              you betcha i did

Comment

Working...
                              X