Aftermarket front master cylinder suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket front master cylinder suggestion

82 gs 650 g. Piston is seized on my front master cylinder. Obviously the boot is trash as well.

Any reputable master cylinders that I can use to completely replace the front master cylinder versus a rebuild?

I tried buying the master cylinder off a 82 650 gl, and not only is it different, it’s equally as bad.

Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

I have worked on many, with seized pistons too.
    Nearly every one could be rebuilt.
    Is yours damaged so badly you don't consider a rebuild ?
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

It can be rebuilt. The angle of it on the new handlebars isn’t even.

I see an aftermarket one on dime city cycles for $80 versus the rebuild kit for $40. Just trying to wage whether it’s worth the headache to deal with the god forsaken c clip to get the piston out (getting the pistons out of my calipers was a major headache) or just spend an extra $40 on a MC that would sit level w the bar.

but then again, aftermarket parts seem to cause a slew of other unforeseen headaches.

I’ll likely just rebuild it but you know…buy once cry once. Maybe the piston will be easier to get out but I’m already realizing I don’t have a tool slim/long enough to compress the clip to get the piston out. So there’s more money.

labor of love though, right?

Comment

Understood & agree. Rebuilding can be a pain even if you have the right tools and some rebuild kits are crap.
        Cheap aftermarket MC's can be crap, but I bought one for 80 euros from my parts dealer he assured me was
        good and it was.
        Looks like you're looking for the most practical and economical way and maybe some advice on that MC,
        understand completely.
        I'm in Europe (no dime city cycles here), hope someone can help you with experience on that MC ...
        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

Comment

Exactly! I rebuilt my rear master cylinder, and never installed it on the bike. The rebuild kit came w no directions, and I’m not sure if I put the cup in the right way because now the piston on that is acting like it’s seized. Sort of want to throw my hands up in defeat.

Comment

You can find these on EBAY in good condition that , if they needed a rebuild, would be a better candidate. They usually aren't very expensive either. I am modifying my '83 GS750ES to take an 1150 front end, that will have 17" Katana front and rear wheel 3 spoke rims. The 16" front tires are very limited in selection. The M/C I got off of EBAY was in excellent condition, with a remote reservoir, and costs only $70 bucks, and that included free shipping. It looks almost new. It will be mated to a pair of Tokico dual piston calipers and smaller discs appropriate for that rim. Thanks to Salty Monk for the help.

Comment

Did you buy OEM?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
                Exactly! I rebuilt my rear master cylinder, and never installed it on the bike. The rebuild kit came w no directions, and I’m not sure if I put the cup in the right way because now the piston on that is acting like it’s seized. Sort of want to throw my hands up in defeat.
                Did you use something like brake grease or brake oil to lube it when you assembled it ?
                If not it may not want to slide easy now, but will work fine when mounted and brake oil is introduced.
                Easy to check by putting a squirt of brake oil in there.

It's easy to take apart, if that does not work, post a picture of the piston and rubber on it and we'll be able to help.
                Post a pic with the parts lined up, piston, spring and cap as mounted.
                Just so we can check that too.
                Last edited by Rijko; 07-09-2023, 04:03 AM.
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

I haven’t reassembled. This would be the initial tear down. I just ordered the rebuild kit afterall.

I was trying to find the most economical solution, because I need to buy yet another specialty tool to get that snap ring out of the MC. So the cost of the tool plus the rebuild kit was going to put me at the same cost of the aftermarket MC I found.

but I realized that the MC I was looking at was 14mm instead of a 5/8 bore. My bike calls for a 5/8 bore.

funny you mention about the brake oil because I disassembled and rebuilt the rear MC for a third time yesterday. I thought that piston was seized, but soaking the internals in brake oil was all that was needed. Well, that and making sure the order was correct since the rebuild kits don’t come w instructions

Comment

I quoted you, and commented on, the rear MC rebuild .. glad you got that one sorted
                    Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

My bad! I totally missed that.

Comment