Gs500 forks on gs550L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs500 forks on gs550L?

Based on a series of messages that I exchanged with Chuck78 a few years back I bought a set of rebuilt gs500 forks and front caliper long with a gs1000 triple tree and a rotor off some other bike that was supposed to mount up to my existing front wheel by simply overboring the mounting holes.

I'm finally getting back to trying to get this motorcycle together, honestly ill probably end up selling it since i have too many projects and not enough time/money for motorcycles right now, but I'd like to maximize the amount I can get for selling it, so I need to get it roadworthy again.

It appears that the L front wheel is way too big to fit correctly on the gs500 forks, which makes sense given that i think the 500 has equal size front and rear wheels. I'm looking for suggestions on what front wheel or wheel set would work. I know Chuck talked about a bunch of different wheel options for converting the L to equal sized wheels, but those messages seem to have gotten lost in the forum upgrade.

Would a set of GS550E mag wheels work? This style: https://www.ebay.com/itm/30457727780...Bk9SR9CHvODiYg
    It looks like the front is 16" and the rear is still 18" so I'm concerned that will cause me geometry issues even with the GS1000 triple. I think the equal sized wheel options that Chuck mentioned all involved swapping out the rear swing arm at minimum, and possibly custom spacers and such.

Other suggestions very much welcome. It would be nice if front and rear were the same style and if it wasn't too terribly expensive.​
    1980 GS550L

If you're just looking to sell it, wouldn't a GS500 front wheel be the easiest route?
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
    X