Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1100l right rotor fittment

Hello all,
    I am restoring this bike that should have been a parts bike, however I was greedy for a deep dive project. Boy I got that! I’m looking for help sorting out this problem I have encountered. After rebuilding the forks and calipers, when I went to install the caliper brackets, the right side rotor is too close to the fork, the rotor will turn but is lightly rubbing. I’ve checked everything I can. I’m not sure if it was like this before I took it apart. I can feel the difference by placing my hand between the rim and rotor. A larger gap on the right side. I’m beginning to think the left and right rotors are different, and perhaps I have 2 left rotors.
    Any thoughts as to what may be going on would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all,
    Richard

Looking at the parts fiche, the right and left rotors are different part numbers.
    Shop online for OEM Front Wheel parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS1100-LT, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'm thinking the different part #'s is due to the pattern of the slotted holes, if used same part, one side slots would point forward while other side slots would point backwards. I don't know but would expect the offset and mounting of both should be the same... Am thinking I remember an "L" and "R" stamped on them.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I just read a post in a thread, Hello from the Netherlands, when front rotors are put on wrong side how noticeably different they "look", nothing mentioned about not fitting properly.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I now see the difference left to right. It does appear to be the drilled slot pattern, which only confirms to me that I have the proper rotors. 1 left/ 1 right. So now my mystery continues. I think I’ll swap them as a test to see if my clearance issues change sides. I’m flying sort of blind because I don’t know if I’m starting with the proper parts. I will let you know my findings tomorrow, and I want to thank everyone for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
            I now see the difference left to right. It does appear to be the drilled slot pattern, which only confirms to me that I have the proper rotors. 1 left/ 1 right. So now my mystery continues. I think I’ll swap them as a test to see if my clearance issues change sides. I’m flying sort of blind because I don’t know if I’m starting with the proper parts. I will let you know my findings tomorrow, and I want to thank everyone for the help.
            I had this issue recently, when I re-assembled the forks/ wheel. I can't recall exactly what it was, but re-assembling it again, and paying careful attention sorted it out. Might have been one of the lower axle collars was in the wrong way around. Haven't a clue why, as I've had the front ends apart a lot more than once over the years.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Dave.
              I’m glad I’m not alone on this, and good to know that a simple resolve may be around the corner. I’m hoping that going back to this another day with a new perspective may be what’s needed. again.
              This forum has been a great help and appreciate all the experience and wisdom here!

Comment

OK….after some more thought and grimacing it appears the previous owner must have set the bearing too deep on the right side. I used a large socket and hammer to tap on the left bearing driving the right side out a bit. When I refit the wheel everything fell into place. I will now replace the bearings and life should be good. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on what I found. I’m not sure which side has the ledge where it should stop, if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
                  OK….after some more thought and grimacing it appears the previous owner must have set the bearing too deep on the right side. I used a large socket and hammer to tap on the left bearing driving the right side out a bit. When I refit the wheel everything fell into place. I will now replace the bearings and life should be good. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on what I found. I’m not sure which side has the ledge where it should stop, if that makes any sense.
                  Offhand, I don't recall, but when you remove them you'll see it anyway.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I’ll check the clymer shop book, even though it’s loaded with inconsistencies, almost comical
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X