X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell, Avon tires

Final tire was made
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Used the Avon Roadrider AM26 tires for years.
    So did a lot of the vintage road racers.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It's sad to read about this plant closure. It must be devastating to the locals that have worked in that plant for decades.

The question remains, though: have the AM26's been discontinued, or has (or will) the manufacturing location been changed?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Maybe if they learned how to spell the word "tyres" properly they would have gotten more sales?

Missed out on a SMOKING deal on a set a couple of weeks back due to not having a street address to have them shipped to, someone had an online closeout sale going.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Well, if the replacement AM26 isn't as good, I'll be going back to Maxxis for the front.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Looks like Avon motorcycle tyres will be now produced in France

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
            ​​
            Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Well, if the replacement AM26 isn't as good, I'll be going back to Maxxis for the front.
              Tell you what, I've got about 14k miles on my Bridgestone Battle-ax BT46 front right now and it's doing just fine! I've already replaced the rear once and it's about time to do it again since I put it on but that front is as good as new.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Well, it seems that the death of Avon was prematurely stated.
                Between what KiwiAlfa reported above, and this, it appears that the AM 26 will be around for the foreseeable future

Avon Tyres, one of the motorcycle industry’s longest-established tire brands, will receive a fresh focus as part of the wider Goodyear group of brands. Having incorporated Avon into its family in 2022, Goodyear is looking ahead to the future with a reinvigorated approach to the Avon brand.

Now sitting alongside the Dunlop brand in Europe, the incorporation of Avon into Goodyear’s portfolio gives European bikers an even more comprehensive offering than before, with industry-leading products across all sectors of the motorcycle market. The new, more focused, Avon range includes the Cobra Chrome tire for cruiser and custom bikes, as well as the popular Roadrider MKII which sits as a complementary offering alongside Dunlop’s strong sports touring range.

Furthermore, Avon will continue to produce the 3D SUPERSPORT hypersport tire, Spirit ST and Streetrunner sport touring products, Trailrider and Trekrider for adventure use, Safety Mileage MKII and Speedmaster MKII classic designs, and the Viper Stryke for scooters. This focus on key designs ensures the Avon brand still offers riders its most popular products, sitting as a strong partner offering alongside the Dunlop range, which covers everything from off-road to hypersport tires and everything in between.

Goodyear’s long-term strategy for its two famous motorcycle tire brands focuses on further developing its motorcycle centre of excellence in Montlucon, France, where many of the premium products in the Dunlop range are currently developed alongside World Championship level racing tires for Moto2™ and the FIM Endurance World Championship.

Ben Hoge, General Manager, Motorcycle Europe, Goodyear, stated: “Dunlop and Avon have proud histories and exciting futures. The ranges are highly complementary and meaningfully differentiated, so this gives us the opportunity to offer a wider selection of tires, with one of the youngest product portfolios in the industry, to the trade and riders alike.

“As we plan for 2024 and beyond, we will reveal new product lines, technology upgrades and clear market positioning for both brands.”

In addition to this continued commitment to motorcycle tires, the Avon brand will remain a key part of Goodyear’s portfolio in the passenger vehicle segment.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The way I remember it (1970's) Avon was the go-to if you wanted a fat rear tire on your custom.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                  X