Uneven Front Tire Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    Hey, something else funny (ish) one of my shoes wears out faster than the other.
    I know my right shoe stays a LOT cleaner than the left, but that's a small price to pay for the exhilaration of shifting. Of course a heel & toe shifter would solve that...
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      In regards to uneaven tire wear, maybe this old adage applies....Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
      Good one...

I'm pretty light on the rear brake too, generally.

Comment

Seems odd to me, I use front brake waaay more than rear, but never had front tire wear near as fast as the rear does..
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

My idiot neighbor had a similar situation last year, and he come over to ask about it.....

Somehow he had 1 fork leg slid up an inch more than the other??? (WTF?) I wasn't even sure that was possible... but there it was in living color!
          Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Don't see how could "accidently" be done. You'd kind'f need to work at it.... could be maybe Mr. Bud Weiser or Mr. Jim Beam was helping him that day
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I get nearly twice the distance from a front and they always wear the right side more.
              Right turns are faster.
              In the US I imagine that would be left side.
              I can tell an import bike fairly quick.
              How many miles were on that Angel?
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                How many miles were on that Angel?
                Looks like between 10- and 10,500.

I've got to build a little cradle for the frame to jack the thing up. Otherwise, there's nothing to put the jack on except the bottom of the 4-1 exh (not gonna). The special part jack from Kawasaki is over $400 (Partzilla).

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post

Looks like between 10- and 10,500.

I've got to build a little cradle for the frame to jack the thing up. Otherwise, there's nothing to put the jack on except the bottom of the 4-1 exh (not gonna). The special part jack from Kawasaki is over $400 (Partzilla).
                  Not sure what bike you have, but a floor jack and 2x4 works.

Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

It's a ZX-11. There's nothing there but oil cooler, then radiator; nothing solid. There are frame tubes on either side of the (crankcase), so a little farther back than I'd like to go. A cheap HF M/C jack with 2x4s on it to make it clear the exhaust pipes might work, but I don't have room for anything else until I clean up some junk (lol).

I remember using a spot like that on the front of my GS850; prob the GS450 too, but too far in time back to say.

I've got to go search for a 22mm hex tool this morning for the axle(!). Ordered a multi-size one last night from eBay that might work, but it's days away...

Comment

Picked up a set of hex sockets from O'Reilly's yesterday (with a 22mm, which worked great to break the axle [nut?] loose after loosening the pinch bolts on that side), and got this thing put together and tested. Seems to work. Pics are lousy, but it's sitting on the tube frame part that the engine rests in(?), which is bolted to a really substantial framework higher up; not sure what it would be called (type). Looks like a "Y" from the side.

Frame Cradle, Left - Copy.jpg

Comment

Here's another view:

Frame Cradle, Right - Copy.jpg

Comment

I guess I shoulda posted this in the "Other Q's" section, since it's not a GS... Seemed like the uneven wear thing might apply to anything when I started it though.

Comment

Got it done and back on. Had the new tire mounted at the dealership (I had a go with the spoons first, but not worth it; didn't even get the bead moved much, and wasn't going to jump up and down on it with the rotors still on, lol). They had the same idea (without me suggesting it), about left turns being longer than right turns here, and I must make a lot of them.

I'll be bringing 'em the rear soon too, I imagine.

Comment

Working...
                            X