Front Fork Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Fork Springs

Hello again all, I’ve finally got my 1979 gs850g properly running thanks to you guys and it’s a blast. But as previous pictures of my bike show, I have little over an inch of fork travel and it’s definitely fear inducing and time to fix that. Due to the air valves being broken and not being able to source any i’d like to cap them and switch to progressive springs and go airless. I’ve searched the forums for hours and got some great info but I’m struggling to find a set of springs that I can be sure will fit my forks. I’m not too worried about the spring rates and such as literally anything will be better than my current situation, but any help determining what will fit (preferably from a reputable supplier and with quick shipping) would be a great help for myself and my safety. Thanks again and sorry if I didn’t find this posted elsewhere.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Sonic Springs. The former owner is a member here...
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just from the picture, if you lower the fork tubes in the clamps you may gain a few in. of travel. I don't remember seeing any this far up.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You definitely need to raise the front end, right now the sliders are slaming into the lower triples every time you brake hard or go over a big bump. Very bad.

Straight rate springs will be better than progressively wound ones. Sonic Springs as mentioned (I'm the former owner) or Race-Tech can fix you up. If you want help selecting a rate let me know.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
          You definitely need to raise the front end, right now the sliders are slaming into the lower triples every time you brake hard or go over a big bump. Very bad.

Straight rate springs will be better than progressively wound ones. Sonic Springs as mentioned (I'm the former owner) or Race-Tech can fix you up. If you want help selecting a rate let me know.
          Will I be alright going airless with straight rate springs? And I wouldn’t mind assistance selecting a rate if you have time, the bikes main use is backroads and I ride at around 170lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by LordJebus View Post

Will I be alright going airless with straight rate springs? And I wouldn’t mind assistance selecting a rate if you have time, the bikes main use is backroads and I ride at around 170lbs.
            If you use the correct straight rate springs and oil, you won't need any air pressure.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

If you use the correct straight rate springs and oil, you won't need any air pressure.
              That’s a relief, I’ll do some more homework on spring rates and such in the meantime, thanks.

Comment

I'll venture 1.0 or 1.1 with straight rate springs. I went with .9 a few years back, but didn't account for weight gain (mine).
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Probably 1.0s, but it depends a bit on your weight and the kind of riding you do.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                  X