No announcement yet.

SV650 shock FITS GS550ES!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that because of linkage difference spring rates for single shock bikes vary all over the map. From the mid 300's to over 1000. Length is also very important, and it varies a lot also.
    It's a lot easier to screw up a bike's handling by just slapping in a shock from another bike than is is to improve it.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Yes, the 1'st poster verified the stock length is 13'' eye to eye, the SV650 is the same length and there is 7 pounds weight difference in the 2 bikes so this is a really close fit, I am buying a shock today.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by gsxrlvr View Post
        Yes, the 1'st poster verified the stock length is 13'' eye to eye, the SV650 is the same length and there is 7 pounds weight difference in the 2 bikes so this is a really close fit, I am buying a shock today.

Neal
        Not saying the SV shock is a bad idea, (it may be a perfect match for all I know) but the respective bike weights tell you nothing about spring rates. The linkage ratios vary far more than bike weight, so knowing what spring rates the target and donor bike have is what matters.

For example the SRAD GSXRs and the first gen SV are about the same weight. (the GSXR is a little heavier) The stock spring rates are very different, 375 vs. 510 respectively, and the ideal rates are even further apart.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

sV650 shock swap

Rich, thanks for your insight, when I get the shock installed and if it's just way off is it possible for you to help me select a spring that would be right for my wife, she is 130 lbs, I assume it's much easier find a replacement spring for a newer generation shock body like the SV'S.

I ask because your URL reflects you have some "spring" knowledge !

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by gsxrlvr View Post
            Rich, thanks for your insight, when I get the shock installed and if it's just way off is it possible for you to help me select a spring that would be right for my wife, she is 130 lbs, I assume it's much easier find a replacement spring for a newer generation shock body like the SV'S.

I ask because your URL reflects you have some "spring" knowledge !

Neal
            Neal,

The SV spring can't be replaced. Even if it could that's a bit problematic, because then the damping will be mismatched to the spring rate.

Here's a thread from SVRider that has the length and spring rate listed for a number of shocks.

When looking at the length remember that the difference in length gets multiplied by the linkage ratio, so even a few mm can make a very noticeable difference in ride height.

Comment

Hi, just got my SV650 shock, I have a couple of questions

1.How did you get to the top bolt, did removing the bottom nut/bolt allow for the shock to be raised/lowered to allow access the the nut ?, I have been looking at this and there is no room to get a wrench on it, you did not mention removing the airbox
              any tips would would be appreciated

Neal

Comment

Working...
              X