No announcement yet.

'Nother fork oil question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GL SS Brake lines... I have them on my bike and they do work great and were easy to install.

From Bremzen Brakes

Domain for Sale. Bremzen.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

As you go through it, I believe it where I specified to add the rear brake line as an additional cost and to have them in black. It came to 149 plus shipping.

MSF7777-MSR7777

Comment

I just disassembled, cleaned out my forks out thoroughly, put in new seals, and reassembled the front end. I remember reading somewhere here that measuring the fork oil level should be done with the forks vertical, not mounted in the triples, and therefore with some rake. I just got my Progressive springs, and the instructions (which I glanced at briefly) said that since the Progressive springs take up more space, that setting by level was the correct option. I really don't want to pull the forks again, but if vertical is the best way, then that's what I should do. Opinions?
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

I may be wrong but what would be wrong with using a large syringe to measure and fill the forks?

They are accurate as that is what they are made for. That way there would be no doubts and no need to screw around.

You should be able to get a plastice one at a reasonable price at a pharmacy.

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
          I just disassembled, cleaned out my forks out thoroughly, put in new seals, and reassembled the front end. I remember reading somewhere here that measuring the fork oil level should be done with the forks vertical, not mounted in the triples, and therefore with some rake. I just got my Progressive springs, and the instructions (which I glanced at briefly) said that since the Progressive springs take up more space, that setting by level was the correct option. I really don't want to pull the forks again, but if vertical is the best way, then that's what I should do. Opinions?
          Hi,

I suggest you take the forks out. It's much easier to get an accurate level measurement. Have a look at these for more information.

Fork Seal Replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Those methods sound too complicated and anal.

I just mixed 15w30 or 40 with ATF....50-50.

Compressed forks, and added the recommended level.
            Then Reassembled as necessary.

I added 7psi of air, or whatever it says.

Bike handles like a friggin dream!

Waaayyyy better than before.

Comment

At what location on the fork is considered the "top" of the fork? Is it at the top edge of the inner fork tube when compressed??? Then you measure down from there? I know, you have to spell it out to me. Sorry. I need a visual.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

To me, the "top" is the last point that will hold oil, if you keep filling it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                  Those methods sound too complicated and anal.

I just mixed 15w30 or 40 with ATF....50-50.

Compressed forks, and added the recommended level.
                  Then Reassembled as necessary.

I added 7psi of air, or whatever it says.

Bike handles like a friggin dream!

Waaayyyy better than before.
                  Even your way is too complicated.
                  Grab a bottle of 10w or 15w fork oil. Compress the forks, add the oil, suck out the excess, install your Progressive springs, reassemble, RIDE.

No mixing, no air.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Even your way is too complicated.
                    Grab a bottle of 10w or 15w fork oil. Compress the forks, add the oil, suck out the excess, install your Progressive springs, reassemble, RIDE.

No mixing, no air.

But I love making my own fork oil, it's like a cool syrupy red color!
                    And I'll know if my forks are leaking easily.

Comment

Working...
                    X