Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 GSXR750 swing arm on 83 GS750E question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thank you.
    I'll look into all this and double check again when I'm done

My bike is an 750E '84 (canadian) and the donnor is GSXR750 1991.

Forget about the tape measure....I'll use the galiper to make sure everything is in order.

Comment

Rear wheel centered,

Hey,
      So finally had some time this week end.
      Found out that the rear wheel is 8mm offset right in the swing arm.
      Centered the wheel in the frame using the center of the swing arm +4mm.
      Made sure my wheel axle was parralel to swing arm pivot.
      Then double checked with the string method (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...els/index.html)
      Ended up that my wheel is "perfectly" centered with the front (±1mm).

Then, checked the sprocket alignment, again with the string method:
      Using the gixxer rear sprocket and original wheel spacers and keeping the front one at it's original position (just to check) I found that my rear sprocket is 10mm off on the exterior side and it wouldn't clear the frame.

So basically my rear sprocket need to go ±10mm inside.

My first thought is to shave the drum (where the sprocket attach) by 10mm. Looks like the chain would clear the 170 rear tire.

Is this the thing to do ? Don't remember to have read such a thing on the different conversion posts.

I am planning to go with a 530 chain set-up.

Thanks,
      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djee View Post
        Hey,
        So finally had some time this week end.
        Found out that the rear wheel is 8mm offset right in the swing arm.
        Centered the wheel in the frame using the center of the swing arm +4mm.
        Made sure my wheel axle was parralel to swing arm pivot.
        Then double checked with the string method (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...els/index.html)
        Ended up that my wheel is "perfectly" centered with the front (±1mm).

Then, checked the sprocket alignment, again with the string method:
        Using the gixxer rear sprocket and original wheel spacers and keeping the front one at it's original position (just to check) I found that my rear sprocket is 10mm off on the exterior side and it wouldn't clear the frame.

So basically my rear sprocket need to go ±10mm inside.

My first thought is to shave the drum (where the sprocket attach) by 10mm. Looks like the chain would clear the 170 rear tire.

Is this the thing to do ? Don't remember to have read such a thing on the different conversion posts.

I am planning to go with a 530 chain set-up.

Thanks,
        As stated earlier most of these conversions use the GS sprocket carrier in the GSXR wheel. You can take a couple of mm off of it but I think 10mm is way to much.

Are you using an offset countersprocket? 5.5" wheels usually use 5/8" offset

Comment

As stated earlier most of these conversions use the GS sprocket carrier in the GSXR wheel.
          What would be the advantage with the gs sprocket carrier ?
          I believe I measured the same sprocket position with the gs carrier vs the gsxr carrier.

Are you using an offset countersprocket? 5.5" wheels usually use 5/8" offset
          I am planning on but actually don't have it with me. At first sight 5/8 (15mm) looks like the chain will rub the frame.

Comment

GS Carrier is slimmer than the GSXR one - it moves the sprocket closer inboard moving the chain towards the Tyre which is what you want to do....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              GS Carrier is slimmer than the GSXR one - it moves the sprocket closer inboard moving the chain towards the Tyre which is what you want to do....
              I did not know for sure as I just used 88 GSXR 1100 stuff.

So Djee if you can measure the thickness difference of the carriers, that will give you an adjustment to the stock spacers. Then reassemble and check for chain clearance.

Comment

I think there is about 1/4" of meat on a GS carrier sprocket surface that could be machined off to get a sprocket into alignment if necessary too. Any more than that would leave things a bit thin....

On my 750 I am running a 6mm front spacer with a 530-520 conversion sprocket (has a lump on one side) with the lump on the inside rather than the outside.

Couple with some adjustments on the sprocket hub in order to move it in closer to the wheel I am able to run 1 170 tyre on a 5.5" wheel on a stock swingarm.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I think there is about 1/4" of meat on a GS carrier sprocket surface that could be machined off to get a sprocket into alignment if necessary too. Any more than that would leave things a bit thin....

On my 750 I am running a 6mm front spacer with a 530-520 conversion sprocket (has a lump on one side) with the lump on the inside rather than the outside.

Couple with some adjustments on the sprocket hub in order to move it in closer to the wheel I am able to run 1 170 tyre on a 5.5" wheel on a stock swingarm.

Dan
                  Looks nice and you have tonnes of clearance. What shock you got on there? Did it boost rear ride height?

Comment

It's a Ducati shock. Stock length & using the stock spring but the Ducati shock allows application of about 2" of preload if required where as stock hydraulic preload adjuster had only 3/4" range.

To gain extra clearance I run the wheel slightly further back in the swingarm than stock but I think that I may have been ok even in the stock position looking at it now

You'll see it for yourself in July all being well
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

It's a Ducati shock. Stock length & using the stock spring but the Ducati shock allows application of about 2" of preload if required where as stock hydraulic preload adjuster had only 3/4" range.

To gain extra clearance I run the wheel slightly further back in the swingarm than stock but I think that I may have been ok even in the stock position looking at it now

You'll see it for yourself in July all being well

Looking forward to it. Just putting my Vac request in today

Comment

Me too... Skunk is in pieces now in prep!
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

getting there slowly...

Gentlemen,
                          Well finalize alignement of the rear wheel a few weeks ago...I finally use the string method and compare with calculations on new vs old swing arm and it fitted within a mm or two.
                          Also had spacers made to centered the swing arm I had previously slightly shaved.
                          Ending up very close to the 5/8 offset sprocket in the front. I will finalize measuring once my suspension is all mounted and fixed.

So now I am on the rear suspension mounts...(I know it's been a while..putting only 1 or 2 hours weekly is not very fast !)....
                          Mounted a preliminary mock-up to see how it will look like.
                          Used pictures I took of a GSXR 1100 to base my dimension, I know it's not the same bike but at least I had a point of reference.
                          We rapidly welded mounts. ===> Note that this will not be the final design as it is not strong enough...only to try out positions.<===
                          Here's some pics:

I have put back the bike on it's wheels with the gixxer fork and in terms of height it's a little low but looks balanced and leveled so I would assume the height of mount is with in parameters.

Compare my top mount with some pic I saw (like Tone earlier in this tread) and looks like I would need to get the shock closer to the frame
                          and change lower one accordingly.

What do you guys think ?

Comment

Working...
                          X