which tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
    ... I just can't justify spending $250 for a set of tires that last 6000 miles when I can spend less than $150 for a set of tires that last me over 10,000 miles. ...
    I don't have quite the selection for my Wing, but do you think I can justify over $300 for a set of tires that lasts about 23,000 miles?

I haven't had a GS long enough to wear out a set ot tires other than the Cheng Shins that were on my wife's 850L. They went about 14,000 miles, but are no longer available. I got one of the last sets that was on the shelf at Tires Unlimited as they were stopping production.

I understand the Shinkos are pretty much the logical replacement for inexpensive tires that happen to do a good job.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      ......I understand the Shinkos are pretty much the logical replacement for inexpensive tires that happen to do a good job.

I speak for the Shinko Tourmaster 230's, not the others.
      I've purchsed new and used the Cheng Shin Hi-Maxx, Duro's, Avon Roadriders, and now over 1k miles on the Shinko 230's. I've worn the chicken strip pretty narrow, run in excess of 100mph (V rated so plenty of margin in theory), and am quite satisfied. I would choose them again, even over the Roadriders. If the Roadriders and 230s were priced the same, I may flip a coin! But that bad batch of Roadriders a few years back keeps bugging me....

Comment

I have the kenda's on my bike, they suck. New less that 2000 miles ago, front is around 50% rear is about toast. Go shinko if ur looking for lower price. Avon or metzler if you can swing them

Comment

I put on a set of 230's on my '82 gs1100e about 600 miles ago. Impressed! Aggessive riding 10-15% only. No slipping in the rain, but I really slow down when cornering in the rain. Had a set of sport demons on it when I bought, know idea how old they were, I got 6k on them. Nice but $$$$.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X