Double discs-what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
    just remove one of the calipers. Easy-peasy. And TCK... if the calipers won't allow the tire and rim to slide out, (as it won't on my 850) you can't just pull the caps and have it slide out. The calipers will still hold it. That works on a single caliper though.
    Wanna bet money on that? If you get it up high enough to be able to work the wheel, off the ground, it will come out. You can also spin the lower stancheons away from the wheel to let it clear the caliper ( Assuming you've removed the fender) Almost more of a pain than its worth, but i put the wheel back ON that way, so it will come out the same way. I suppose it would also depend on your tire width perhaps..
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      I suppose it would also depend on your tire width perhaps..
      and on brute strength and stubbornness, too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        and on brute strength and stubbornness, too.
        LOL!!! Indeed... I can be a bit stubborn at times. I ran into a problem with the 750 where someone had GORILLA-ed the caliper bolts.. I was using a breaker bar and they still wouldnt come undone, i was afraid i was gonna break em. But I needed the jack for another project, and I needed the 750 OFF of it, so I had to get the wheel on.. Etc etc.

Couple days of some PB Blaster got those puppies undone, but by then, the wheel was already on..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Wanna bet money on that? If you get it up high enough to be able to work the wheel, off the ground, it will come out. You can also spin the lower stancheons away from the wheel to let it clear the caliper ( Assuming you've removed the fender) Almost more of a pain than its worth, but i put the wheel back ON that way, so it will come out the same way. I suppose it would also depend on your tire width perhaps..

no I wouldn't bet money on it, but by just pulling the caps off, mine wouldn't come off. I'd have to pull my fender to spin the calipers to the sides and, if I remember right, I couldn't get the brake rotors out from between the brake pads before the calipers hit anyway.

Comment

Mine's got the twinpot conversion with larger discs, but the principle's the same. It all just bolts right in
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T, them Nonja calipers are the dog's dangles, aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                Big T, them Nonja calipers are the dog's dangles, aren't they?

Indeed, I fell downright stupid for not having figured it out years ago

Great braking power
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X