18" spoked wheels for GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18" spoked wheels for GS1000?

Converting my 78 GS1000 for vintage racing. Doing the Salty_Monk front brake upgrade, among many other mods. Want to replace the stock cast wheels with 18" spoked wheels (a little wider, too) to cut weight, improve the aesthetic, and help it turn quicker. Any suggestions on where to find them? Not seeing much on eBay or these threads. If I could find strong enough hubs, I can probably get new spokes and rims elswhere. Any help will be much appreciated.

The original wheels from my 1979 GS 1000

The spokers that came on my GS 1000 are alloy-rim and hub, with steel spokes, 19" front and 18" rear. I don't know if any of the GS 1000s used 18" on both. If they are of interest to you, PM me.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

I don't believe any of the GS bikes were available with 18" front wheels, but, in theory, I should be able to use the hub off the 19" front and buy new spokes and a rim to make an 18" front wheel. I'll send you a PM about your wheels. Thanks!

Comment

...only thing is then you'll have a 3.5" wheel on both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
          ...only thing is then you'll have a 3.5" wheel on both ends.
          no... only 2.15 IIRC. The spokies were pretty darn narrow. Realisticly, they should really be shod with a 120 tire. 130s pinch pretty bad on em. Some guys will lace Harley rims to GS hubs, but you need to find the ones with the correct spoke count ( i have no idea which models) Kosman made (still make?) rims to lace GS hubs to that are stupid wide (like up to 5" i think? maybe more) There have been a couple of guys who did wide tire spokie conversions on modern forks/swingers. There is a member ( i cannot remember who) who has a KILLER looking 750B with USD forks, and big ol brakes and rubber on spokes. Very very nicely done.

Comment

damn...2.15 is nuts. I'd hate to have to run 100hp on those.

You can use that list to find interesting swap options. Early GL1000 Goldwings, for example, had 1.85" or so DID aluminum spoked front wheel (and a 17X3.5 rear wheel). Something like you would be able to slip right in there with only some modified caliper hangers. A lot of Honda brake patterns are easy to adapt to Suzuki 310mm and 320mm rotors, as well as Yamaha 298mm rotors.

It's not the spoked wheel, but it's a good example.

Comment

We've looked at putting spoked wheels on our 1000 pre 82 racebike.
              Didn't do it for the reasons racers in period used mags - wheel stiffness.
              On these big heavy bikes the stiffness of the wheel makes a big difference to the handling - and how the tyres work.
              Depending on your rules you may be able to use later lighter mags maybe wider too. we can if we want go to 17's - 3 in front and 4 in rear. there's quite a wide choice of later mags around these widths.

I've put spoked wheels on smaller/lighter racebikes which originally had mags - at the owners request. As it was not critical on these bikes I didn't argue - and there was a reasonable weight saving too.

Comment

Originally posted by wera racer View Post
                Converting my 78 GS1000 for vintage racing. Doing the Salty_Monk front brake upgrade, among many other mods. Want to replace the stock cast wheels with 18" spoked wheels (a little wider, too) to cut weight, improve the aesthetic, and help it turn quicker. Any suggestions on where to find them? Not seeing much on eBay or these threads. If I could find strong enough hubs, I can probably get new spokes and rims elswhere. Any help will be much appreciated.
                Easy way is too get a set of genuine Suzuki spoke ALLOY wheels and you can lace the rear rim (2.50x18) onto the front and buy a 4.25x18 rim for the back. Tyre choice is limited for racing unless you want to go to 17" rims. Not sure about the lack of stiffness as you can use 8 guage spokes as compared to what (modern) wheel you use. Front guard is from a GSX 550 esd and bolts one with minor change but its only plastic. Have a look in here for race bikes with 3 spoke modern wheels for ideas.http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/sharpywheelie/

Use to race these two and they was real nice to ride.......

Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2015, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Buchanan's sell Rims with the right spoke count... for them to build the wheels total cost is about $900 from memory with stainless spokes & shipping.

I looked into this for my skunk & then decided not to run with it due to cost.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I plan on doing the same thing on my GS1000. I have 2 sets of spoked aluminum rims. Buchanan's has a good selection of rims and spokes. I am going to lace and true them myself. Its not that hard, just time consuming.

Comment

The aluminum rims are what's expensive -$400 and up each

The spokes (stainless) are about $100, Lacing $75-100

You can get a wider rim for the back, but you're limited by the stock swingarm (replace with an aluminum GS 1100 one) and available bias ply tires.
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have had these guys build up a set of alloys for my MK III Commando twice. (Old habit of crashing the wheels off of it, over it now though)I think I have Sun rims now, which can be drilled for a wide variety of spoke arrangements.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Buchanan's suggested GS1000C spoked hubs, which I'm buying now. Then they can provide heavier gauge spokes and a variety of 18" rims. I need to do more research on the rims...

Comment

I just picked up a junk 1000C. Stock rim sizes are 2.15x18 rear and 1.85 front. I am going to lace both with 18" rims and put them on my S. Sacrilege, I know, but I will keep the stockers. I'm going 2.5 on the rear, and 2.15 on the front. There are lots of rim options cheap from dirt bike suppliers.

Flame on.

Comment

Originally posted by pplassm View Post
                              I just picked up a junk 1000C. Stock rim sizes are 2.15x18 rear and 1.85 front. I am going to lace both with 18" rims and put them on my S. Sacrilege, I know, but I will keep the stockers. I'm going 2.5 on the rear, and 2.15 on the front. There are lots of rim options cheap from dirt bike suppliers.

Flame on.
                              That should be good, but don't go too wide on the front tire - I have to squeeze that 3.50 Avon between the fork legs as it is

On the back, if you upgrade to a GS 1100 swingarm, you can go even wider - a 2.5 will give you a 140 or thereabouts

No sacriledge if you keep the stock parts (worth more if you sell it)
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X