83 1100E - tube or tubeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100E - tube or tubeless?

I don't mount my own tires. The guy locally who does some of that for me tells me that that the rims on my 83 1100E are not for tubeless. They lack the raised lip for securing them on. I had assumed that by 1983 all of the GSs would have tubeless rims. I know my '80 850 had tubeless rear and by '81 the G models had tubeless front and rear.

I checked my wheels against the same year 1100Es in the gallery, and they appear to be stock original.

I am curious what other 1100E owners running--tubes or tubeless?
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

I have run them tubeless since I had my first 83. I even run the 18 inch 450 front wheel tubeless with a slick on the dragbikes. Never had an issue. Ray.

Comment

Don, take a look in the black area of the rim. There will be information there about the size of the rim.
      Look in the space right after that, it should say "Tubeless Tire Applicable" if it's OK to go tubeless.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

May i say something?

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Already covered here is what he means,I think

Comment

I don't think Suzuki made a tubeless 19" in that pattern. Rears are available tubeless though, the 3rd generation 750's and the 1150 had them. Some people convert to tubeless with tube type wheels, but many shops won't do this kind of work for you so you may be on your own if you go this route.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don, I think the 83E rims were set up for tubes only but there are some of the Midwest GSers I know of running that type of rim and some of the earlier mag tube type rims without tubes. My bikes are all tubeless but the other rims can be modified with either a counter bore to flatten the surface area on the inside of rim for an OEM or aftermarket valve stem or also the hole enlarged in diameter to use a car type pull through rubber valve stem. I am sure someone here knows the exact counterbore type and size used for this, I do not.

Tubeless on a tube rim is a lot like oil threads, there are many, many, many opinions on it pro and con and it is a personal choice.

I do not know if your tire person would put a tubeless on a modified rim or if there would be a liability issue for them to do it.

This is a similar shape to the counterbore I have seen used for the modification.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=164974
                Already covered here is what he means,I think
                No, that thread doesn't address my question. It asks about a 78 1000 which was clearly prior to common adoption of tubeless. In fact it added to my confusion because one of the answers given for that problem was to use rims from my model, 83 1100, stated as tubeless. I also could not find the information in the Haynes manual or in any of the old magazine reviews of the bike when it was new (they all just say "cast") .

I know about the "tubeless tire applicable" lettering and extra step on some cast rims and not others. I also know that many people run tubeless on cast wheels without those two features. The thing I have a hard time understanding is why the rear wheel in my 1980 850 is stamped for tubeless and the rear wheel on the '83 1100, built three years later as one of its flagship models for that year, is not.

I don't think I was alone in assuming that all Suzuki models by 83, particularly the large ones, had tubeless tires. If not, the logical question would be "why not?" I am wondering if it had something to do with sport bike vs. touring bike?

I am also interested in others' experiences running tubeless on their 1100Es. I think that is the way I will probably end up going anyway.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                  Tubeless on a tube rim is a lot like oil threads, there are many, many, many opinions on it pro and con and it is a personal choice.
                  Yes personal choice, but bottom line... the rims weren't designed to run tubeless from the factory. Some have complained of gradual air loss too, after going tubeless. Strange, that Suzuki did not equip the '83 1100E with tubeless rims, even though it designed new wheels for that model year.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Mine has tubes in it. it's an '83. Why chance it, keep the tubes in there.

There was some confusion at the shop. The rims don't say tubeless but other rims in that time where tubeless. Some '83 gs where tubeless.

Just not mine and apparently yours.

Comment

Don...talk to Joe Nardy. He has done this with dozens if not hundreds of tube type wheels.
                      You may need to modify the valve stem hole to take a tubeless valve stem.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

what's the down side of running tubes??

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
                          what's the down side of running tubes??
                          Big thing to me is road side repair.
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

First, to answer the original question: 1983 1100Es are tube wheels. Brian and I discovered this on my bike late last year when we put Avon RoadRiders on it.
                            Second, Brian purchased a mill-type drill bit and milled out a section of the wheel so that tubeless valve stems would fit and not leak. We tried it without the mill and they leaked.
                            Third, after Brian milled the wheel, they have not leaked a bit. And I much prefer running tubeless.
                            Best of luck.

Comment

I think the message of that thread was if it does not say tubeless they are not.I agree with you it's very strange that Suzuki did 19s tube while the 16 and 17 on the 750 are clearly marked tubeless.

Comment

Working...
                              X