GS425 front brake info needed, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS425 front brake info needed, please.

Hi, all. New to the site. I have a fun little project I'm finishing over the winter. It is a chopper-like midi with a GS425 front fork. I procured the whole front fork from a bike junkyard but they didn't have the brake parts. The fork has "GS425" still written on the brake disc and it fit the existing race perfectly. It's a fun little scooter to ride.

I am not even sure of the year of the fork to be honest. It's a single caliper fork as you can tell in the pic. I'm trying to procure a complete assembly--the caliper, hydraulic cylinder, line, and brake handle. Once the mechanicals are perfect then I'll move on to stripping the bike to the frame and rebuilding it.

This was a fun way to get my feet wet with a bike build. If someone has a complete brake setup to part with I would love to buy it.

Very interesting. Will the kids use it to play around with?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Very interesting. Will the kids use it to play around with?
      Not really, but it's still a toy and not meant for the highway. The motor runs on E85 and the bike needs a front brake. I was surprised so little work made it that quick. It's small enough to be some good campy fun and needs to be safer. I'm over 6ft. tall and it's still a comfy scooter combo to actually ride. It doesn't beat me to death and I won't chew a bumper too easily.

+1 for Earl's brake info. Good reading!
      Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

That does look like a bit of fun!

Most of the twins share a lot of components, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 400, 425, or 450 brakes all fitted, maybe even the 250 and 300 also.

Jump onto Alpha Sports website and pick a 425 model at random (I'm guessing around 1980) and find the caliper part number, then go to Bike Bandit and do a search on it which will tell you what other models use the same caliper.

Without knowing the year it's still a bit of guess work, but that's the only way I could see to do it with any degree of accuracy at the moment.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          That does look like a bit of fun!

Most of the twins share a lot of components, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 400, 425, or 450 brakes all fitted, maybe even the 250 and 300 also.

Jump onto Alpha Sports website and pick a 425 model at random (I'm guessing around 1980) and find the caliper part number, then go to Bike Bandit and do a search on it which will tell you what other models use the same caliper.

Without knowing the year it's still a bit of guess work, but that's the only way I could see to do it with any degree of accuracy at the moment.
          The GS425 was a one year wonder. Only made in 1979.

Comment

I would be afraid that it would be too easy to lock that front wheel with so little weight on it.

Cute little ride though .. looks like a blast.

Comment

Hey all. Thanks for the input. I can't even find a local place that stocks these calipers. I don't see why they wouldn't use the same caliper but it's worth trying to verify it before venturing out again to try and find one.

The center-to-center on the fork's caliper mount is 71 or 72mm. The outer distance of these mounting holes is 94mm.

Dual pistons would definitely be too much brake!

Comment

Working...
              X