No announcement yet.

New wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have bearings and seals, front and rear, on order from Z1 as of yesterday... Not sure what brand they carry, but Z1 seems to be a trusted source, so I'll go with them...

And... you guys were right... I e-mailed them and they have new tank mounting rubber cushions, and a new set of factory replacement clutch springs on order as well.

Was wondering... How long do the Wheel Bearings in one of these bikes typically hold up?? Do the fronts wear faster than the rears?? Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
      Was wondering... How long do the Wheel Bearings in one of these bikes typically hold up?
      Over 100,000 miles.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        Over 100,000 miles.

Daniel
        Interesting... Curious as to why my front ones are showing play at only 23,000 then... Should I be looking for something else that may be an issue??

Comment

Originally posted by Dakotakid View Post
          Do the All Balls kits contain Chinese bearings?
          I can't speak for all of the various parts that they sell, but my All Balls wheel bearings were clearly stamped KML and China on the seals. So, yeah, I'd say they're Chinese re-badged standard bearings.

Comment

Wear depends on plenty of variables.
            Some include: manufacturing (metallurgy, clearances, quality of grease), impacts to the wheel,
            grease deterioration (washed out, paraffin content, contamination, etc.), seal damage (both during installation and through wear/time, lack of use),
            maintenance (re-packing, inspection).

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
              Interesting... Curious as to why my front ones are showing play at only 23,000 then... Should I be looking for something else that may be an issue??
              There are many factors besides just mileage. Weathering, seal quality, installation practices, etc. Bearings MAY last that long but I don't think it's typical in a 30-year old bike to have original bearings. They're something that should be checked every time you have your wheels off; many people just replace them every so often as a matter of course (every or every other tire change for example). Make sure you have the proper spacers in place.

Comment

Just a note.
                When replacing sealed wheel bearings, you can remove the external seals and re-pack them with the synthetic grease of your choice.
                The seals snap right back in.

Daniel

Comment

Very few people service wheel bearings but doing so will extend their life. I suspect most bearing failures relate to either water entry or the grease drying out.

I put All Balls bearings in one bike and they seemed fine. I don't think they are of equal quality to the Japanese bearings originally used by Suzuki, but good enough.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 12-17-2015, 02:15 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Great thread, and it answered the question I had.

I found VXB Bearings who sell the 6302-2RS and 6303-2RS for my GS1000G for $3 and $4 each respectively, and shipping is $7. One All Balls kit with two bearings is like $10. They also sell Nachi Japan bearings for a higher price, 6302-2NSE for $7 each and 6303-2NSE for $8 each. I used an All Balls set on my red 1000G, but think I will try the Japan bearings on the blue one.

Comment

So McMaster-Carr has double sealed 6302's that evidently don't dissipate heat as well as the open bearings or shielded bearings but are great for preventing contamination. In our application would the double sealed ones be fine as far as heat dissipation? I got some 6302's from them that turned out to be totally open with no shield on either side (my own error) and I'm thinking they may not really be the best idea.
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I've used the double sealed wheel bearings for years on my bike, with the exception of the large open bearing in the rear. Never had a problem with them. The open bearings, I've had a couple fail on me, mostly the front bearings. Caught them before anything happened thank god.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks Bill, I'm going to order them.
                          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

The OEM wheel bearings use a seal on the outside but they are either open or just shielded in the inside.

All Balls bearings use a rubber seal on both sides.

Either way I don't think durability is a factor. Main thing is to keep water out so as long as you have a seal on at least one side you will be okay.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed. I'm just wondering what keeps the grease from oozing out the inside if there is no shield there. Seem like I read here somewhere that the action of the bearing spinning tends to actually pull grease in rather than allow it to flow out. The bearings I took out had no seal on the inside.
                              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I stick with Koyo when available. For what All Balls is charging I can get Koyo, Timken, SKF from my local agri-parts supplier, who has an immense selection of bearings on his shelf.
                                Relatedly, I've never had a Koyo bearing fail, but after 100K, a couple of them started to feel a bit ragged, so got replaced. When these bikes were in regular daily long-distance use, they rarely consumed wheel bearings at all (except the shake-out of previously-fitted PO cheap ones and OEM factory bearings that had failed seals), but more general private and personal use seems to revert the situation back to less of a bearing lifespan, more in keeping with that experienced by other owners. Even at that, Koyo seem to last a Looooooooong Time.
                                Really, decent bearings are so cheap, it's not worth cheaping out with cheap crap - your neck depends on them.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X