Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

progressive springs gs700e / fork disassembly question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progressive springs gs700e / fork disassembly question.

so im about to order progressive springs for my 85 700e. Im searching and searching on here but cant find the info Im after.

1st, is there a special trick to taking the forks apart? I see that there is no nut on top holding the springs in, looks like its just a little wire clip type piece that sits in a groove. Seems like I remember someone saying that piece couldn't be purchased and had to be re-used.

2nd, will the write-up on cliff's side apply to my bike for the most part? I have the manuals so Ive got how much oil they need but the pics arnt very good.

Thanks in advance guys and maybe I can do a write up for others with these forks.
    ---Eric

The write up on the site has enough information to get it done. Not much is different except the location of what each thing might be on ours.

Comment

Yes, just a clip. money saving measure. Hope they aren't rusted in place
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

They don't look to be rusty, both have the rubber caps on top so that's a plus.

I guess if they break Ill be looking for a replacement.
        ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Yes, just a clip. money saving measure. Hope they aren't rusted in place
          I had one that had to be bored, it was completely rusted...

Comment

oh dont tell me that lol

I guess just wish me luck. I will order after new years since my bank isnt open.
            ---Eric

Comment

Start on post #190 in this thread and read through....

Comment

Years ago when the bike was only a few years old I installed Progressives in my forks. One of the caps was corroded in place. No amount of hammering would budge it. I had to drill a hole in the center of the cap and cut slots from the center out being careful not to make contact with the fork tube. I cut four slots with a jig saw then busted the cap out. I was doing a full disassembly and a good flush so I didn't worry about what ended up in the fork.

Also, don't believe what you've heard about needing the special tool to hold the dampers. I've done several sets of forks now and just loosened the socket cap bolts on the bottom of the legs hidden under the axle, never held anything inside the forks. They came apart and went back together just fine without the tool. You may want to think about replacing the teflon slider bushings too. They'll probably be toast.

Comment

What is the best way to compress the fork cap to remove the retaining ring?
                  ---Eric

Comment

A big screwdriver against your chest pushing down with some padding in your hand the two. Have the fork fully extended.

Comment

Working...
                    X