gsxr fork swap bearing question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr fork swap bearing question.

For those who have done the swap I have a quick question. I am running a 79 GS1000 and I am putting the front end off of a 99 GSXR750. I bought the conversion bearings from alballsbearings.com and have one question. I have read on several other threads that only the top bearing needs to be replaced but the lower bearing on the gsxr is a ball bearing style. The new bearings i got were tapered roller bearing and i have already installed the upper one. What is the best way to change the lower one if I have to do that? Would be easiest to cut the original race from the stem and then press the new one on. I tried to press the stem out of the lower triple tree out but it didn't want to budge. Do i need to change the lower. It sure seems that the ball bearing lower would not work with the regular race.

Thanks Krank

Hi. Can't help you with advice re the removal but the following are excerpts from a register of Japanese steering bearing sizes

Upper:30 x 55 x 17
    Lower: 30 x 55 x 17
    Suzuki GSXR750 (96-01)

Upper: 25 x 47 x 15
    Lower: 30 x 55 x 17
    Suzuki GS1000C/EC/HC/N (78-79), GS1000ET (80), GS1000G/GL
    (80-81), GS1000L N (79)
    Suzuki GS1000LN/SN/ST (79-80), GS1000SZ (82), GS1000T/HT/ ET
    (80)

The lower is supposed to be the same size. Re your question regarding the need to replace it. Unless you know that it is a good one (and hasn't had grit and dust mixed in with the grease)..... Yes you should/must replace it.

The upper bearings are different, which I guess is covered by your conversion kit. As for the different bearing type (ball or roller) AFAIK you can use either, but the roller bearing is better.

Comment

there are some pics and various description on getting the GS lower steering race out. The lower race normally need to be cut from the lower triple unless you have the correct tool (few people do)

Is the steering stem the same OD on the 99 GSXR as the bearings ID you have? If not there are a few tricks.

Comment

Okay so after blowing all the grinding dust from my nose and apparently my brain from all of the frame grinding I had been doing earlier that day I saw the light. This is the tool Poly is talking about.

It is called a bearing puller/separator. I guess once I got the dust out I started thinking a little more clearly. Made a quick job removing the bearing with the shop press.

Thanks for the answers Krank.

Comment

Cool tool. Looked on the net to buy one. Found them up to 150 pounds stirling and the exact same one that you have at the bargain price of U$25....... + $95 shipping

Comment

Working...
          X