Need help identifying forks please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying forks please

Hi, I was given these 43mm forks and wheels recently. I want to put the front end on my 78 GS1000. It seems that I would have to use these wheels. The forks did not come with calipers for the brakes. I want to make sure that I get the right ones. The guy said that he thought that the forks were from a 1992 Katana. I am reasonably sure that they are in fact suzuki, but I am not so sure of the year. There is a stamp under the lower triple tree that looks like a date code. It is "12 28 88" So that may be what they are. I just don't know how much the caliper fitment varied from year to year and model to model.

Also, I know that these are radial tires. I think it is fair to say that I would need another swingarm in order to get that back wheel on my bike. I am guessing that there really are no bias ply tires that I could use on the fron to hold meover until I did a proper conversion on the back. Can anyone tell me if this beast of a rear rim will fit in the confines of a GS1100 swingarm? I know that any other swingarm requires a bit of surgery. Thanks.

Here are the pics:

Those forks appear to be off a 1988 GSX-R750 or 1100 and us Nisin four piston calipers.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I'm concerned about the bolt spacing for the calipers. Are all four pot, suzuki installed Nissins the same? I know they went to six-pot calipers at some point (96?). What about that giant rear wheel? Will it fit inside a GS1100 Swingarm? Thanks.

Comment

What size is the wheel? It will have a stamping like 17 x 4.5

People have installed a 160 width tire in the GS 1100 swingarm, you might need to go to a modified Bandit swingarm for a wider tire

Check with Posplayer or Katman
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
          I'm concerned about the bolt spacing for the calipers. Are all four pot, suzuki installed Nissins the same? I know they went to six-pot calipers at some point (96?). What about that giant rear wheel? Will it fit inside a GS1100 Swingarm? Thanks.
          If you need to purchase calipers, take a measurement of the lug holes center to center, then go on Ebay and look for 4 piston Nissin calipers and ask the seller what the distances are center to center on the calipers. Or just look up '88 GSX-R750 or 1100 calipers on Ebay.

Comment

The wheel will fit the 1100 swing-arm. Spacing of the calipers is different from year to year, and bike to bike. El G.

Comment

Originally posted by El Giablo View Post
              The wheel will fit the 1100 swing-arm. Spacing of the calipers is different from year to year, and bike to bike. El G.
              Thanks for the swingarm info. Yeah, I figured that about the calipers, that was why I was hoping ot get a definitive ID. Sadly, I don't trust most ebay sellers to get the measurements right and I'd rather go in to it knowing what I need ahead of time. Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                Thanks for the swingarm info. Yeah, I figured that about the calipers, that was why I was hoping ot get a definitive ID. Sadly, I don't trust most ebay sellers to get the measurements right and I'd rather go in to it knowing what I need ahead of time. Thanks all.
                I literally have six pairs of calipers (from Suzuki forks). Each one is a hair different. El G.

Comment

Working...
                X