GS1100E fork spring spacer w/progressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E fork spring spacer w/progressive

What size spacer should I use with progressive springs on my '80 GS1100E? It doesn't use one stock, do I need one with the progressive springs?
    Thanks
    Oh and I'm 170 lbs

As far as I know, there are only two ways to determine what size spacer to use.

1. Find someone that has your exact bike, set up exactly as yours and is your exact weight.

2. Put it together with whatever Progressive recommends, then take measurements.

What you are looking for in the way of measurements is how much the suspension "sags" when you add your weight to it. Start with the bike on the centerstand and the forks fully extended. Measure between two convenient points (bottom triple clamp and fender?), record that measurement. Take the bike off the stand, get on the bike put as much of your weight as you con on the bike. Have a helper make the same measurement, record it and compare. You are looking for a reduction of no more than 20-25% of total travel. Most of our bikes have about 6 inches of travel, so you are looking for 1 to 1.5 inches of "sag". If you have more than that, install a spacer to make up the difference.

By the way, the same priciple works for the rear, but the travel there is only about 4 inches.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at the article on my little website. It may give you some pointers too.

Welcome to the forum. See the "READ ME" file on my site for the "mega-welcome" package.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X