brake light wont come on with hand brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake light wont come on with hand brake

Any suggestions how to get my brake light to turn on when I squeeze the hand brake lever?
    The light lights up when I press the rear brake pedal.

I have a 78 GS750 EC.

Thanks in advance.

Bret

Check the connections from the switch, inside the headlight bucket. Sometimes the bullet connectors come loose or corrode. If that's OK, check the switch, which is mounted to the front master cylinder. if the switch is bad, replace it. They are cheap.

Comment

When you are ready to remove the switch, either use a very large plastic bag around the grip and work inside it, or turn the master cylinder over so the switch is on top. There are little pieces that will fall, using either of these two methods will make it easier.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had a problem with my 1978 gs750EC where the hand control brake light was sticking on. I took apart the hand control and inside is a small plastic piece that holds a copper piece that bridges the connection of the switch. The switch is under the hand brake control. I would start by loosening the two screws and try to slide the switch left or right. It has a little side to side play to get the connection in the perfect spot. Check out #14 on the parts chart http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...1977&fveh=2133

Comment

Much thanks to each of you!

I will dive into it this weekend!

Truely this board makes GS ownership a pleasure.

Thank you - Bret

Comment

Sometimes the tiny u shaped contact and the conductive track it slides along need to be polished, then give it a good adjustment. Once you take it apart andlook inside this will all make sense.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just replaced mine. $30 from Alpha Sports. Was OEM part and solved teh problem. These things are adjustable too. the little black cap on teh underside of the switch can be slid in or out from the bike to make the lever contact sooner or later in the pull.

Comment

A new one will definitely work better than an old one, though periodic cleaning or adjustment may be necessary. They are also susceptible to user error: I tried to clean mine at BC, reinstalled wrong, and sheared the plastic nib off. So be more careful than me. I now have a hydraulic switch banjo bolt coming for the front (already have one for the rear). I'm curious about why you chose Alpha Sports. They have an excellent on-line parts fiche, but they also have some of the highest prices. (I paid about $20 for a new switch from what is now PartShark). Did you have a specific reason for choosing them?
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The switch was bad. New switch and brake light works perfectly. Thanks again everyone! Bret

Comment

Working...
                  X