83 GS 450l fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 450l fork seals

Hi all, new to the forums. I've done some searching but came up empty. I am looking for advice on opeing up the top of the stanchion on my 450l forks. They have an air valve there and it does not appear to have any kind of top nut. I was going to turn out the schraeder valve and see what lies under there. So far I have removed the bottom of the forks without removing the springs etc from the stanchions.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

Can't help with the forks though I'm afraid as my '82 450E doesn't have an air valve or anything, just the cap bolt.

However, go here and download a manual:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Here you go:

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Looks like you have to prise out part number 27 - spring clip holding everything in place. Pop a rag over the top when you do release it - those clips just love to fly off and hide from you for a couple of hours.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Great info! I looked in the Clymer manual and they explain the process unlike the haynes manual I had, it did not cover the air valve. Great link to the parts site. I find I am having alot of trouble getting bike dealers to get me the right parts now I can give them part numbers.

Thanks for the help, I will post pics when my bike is all ready to go. Its my first bike, although I've ridden a few.

Cheers!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. adagre,

You will find a couple of fork seal replacement guides on my website. They should give you and idea of what to expect.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X