How to install brake pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install brake pads?

Stupid question but how do I install brake pads? I need to put them back on my 1983 GS1100E but they keep falling out? It's the brake pad on the front on the inside closest to the rim.

Hi,

See if the guides on my website are similar to your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

There should be 2 pins that slide into the caliper and through the top of the pads so they don't move up and down.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
        There should be 2 pins that slide into the caliper and through the top of the pads so they don't move up and down.
        I don't think the '83 1100E has that style... no pins shown here on the front caliper fische...

'85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I will try to get you some pic's in a little while.
          There is a possibility that someone tried the wrong pads.
          The difference from '82 and '83 pads are slight. I will get pic's.

Daniel

Comment

I just pinch the pads in place with one hand, while intalling the caliper with the other

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
              I just pinch the pads in place with one hand, while intalling the caliper with the other
              That's what I do. My 850 and both 1100s share the same front calipers.

Comment

The pads just slide into the slots on the bracket (#6) and then when you slide the caliper over it the spring (#11) pushes down on them to hold them in place.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

See if the guides on my website are similar to your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Nope, you have the other style. They are completely different. You might consider posting a writeup for the other style also.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Nope, you have the other style. They are completely different. You might consider posting a writeup for the other style also.
                    Are you sure?

Comment

I will try what guys have said.

Comment

I got it figured out. It was so simple...

See that? The brake pad fits perfectly into that space. Same thing on the other side.

You just slide the brake pad in then slip the caliper over and bolt it back up. So simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                          Heck, I'm not even sure I know what year it is. I wake up every morning wondering if McGovern won the election...

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                            I don't think the '83 1100E has that style... no pins shown here on the front caliper fische...

Arrgh....my bad. I thought he was talking about the rear caliper
                            Current:
                            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                            X