Broken shock stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken shock stud

The top left shock stud on my frame is broken/stripped; not usable.

Do I need to weld another stud in? Or can I cut this one off, drill it out, and use a bolt through the frame? I can get pictures if needed.

Could you retap it one size smaller?

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      Could you retap it one size smaller?
      It looks like someone tried to weld some sort of "fix" on there at some point. It broke off and only left about 1/4" of threads, and that little bit is all chewed up.

Comment

mine broke off when I tried to remove the shock. I bought a bolt with matching threads, cut off the broken stud back close to the frame and welded the bolt on in it's place. My only issue was that my bike was on the side stand and I made sure that the stud was level (but it was level with the ground and definitely not level with the bike. It is close enough that it works and is welded securely so it's fine. It's better to have one welded on than run a bolt all the way through.

Comment

You can grind it back smooth to the frame and weld another on. Use a grade 8 hardened bolt..that was probably an ordinary mild steel bolt, thus causing the failure. I would think drilling thru the frame would cause a weak link in the tubing..just my 2 cents worth.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The shock mount is through that gusset. The threads are separated and spin on what looks to be a flat head screw welded into the end. Very weird.

Comment

I found one on my GS1000E, it had broken off just where the nut begins to tighten to the shock. The PO had JB welded a washer and nut on it to hide it. I went to remove it to install the grab bar which was missing and it just
              popped off. I rode it that way for a long time as the PO also JB welded the shock to the post.
              Finally found a bolt the same size (from a frame stud in fact, cut it off to fit) and had that welded to the broken bolt. So far no issues.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
              X