forward facing or rearward facing calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forward facing or rearward facing calipers

anyone know the pros and cons of having the calipers rear of the forkleg or in front of the fork leg? just curious
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

somebody must have some input?
    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Hi,

OK, I'll bite.

Let me google that for you.

I think it takes less material (read "cost") to brace the caliper if it is behind the fork. The braking action pushes the caliper onto the fork. With the caliper in front, the braking action would be pulling the caliper away from the fork, requiring better bracing. I don't think it makes any difference in handling or stopping power.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

must just be aesthetics. they are more hidden behind it. you're either pushing or pulling on the fork tubes but the forces will be the same, just in opposite directions. if it's in L with the axle that leads.. it's really going to F with you if you try flipping it around.

Comment

It also changes the weight distribution somewhat

I remember BITD the hot set up for Z1s was to swap the forks legs from R to L, then mount the calipers behind the leg. Motorcyclist or someone did it and the bike handled better (tho the Z1 needed all the help it could get)
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            It also changes the weight distribution somewhat

I remember BITD the hot set up for Z1s was to swap the forks legs from R to L, then mount the calipers behind the leg. Motorcyclist or someone did it and the bike handled better (tho the Z1 needed all the help it could get)
            i am toying with that idea on my GS, swapping the fork legs over and having the caliper on the front and the anti dive units on the rear, just for something different
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I bet the calipers cool slightly better on the front. If the caliper cooling is important to you. The calipers and the lines would be better protected from impacts behind the fork leg. I think the mounting bosses might not be designed for the stress of the caliper pulling away from the fork as the previous poster posted.
              Probably they are strong enough. Dunno.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ive seen plenty of old z's with the forks reversed, mainly race bikes.
                i dont think cooling is an issue, i just think it would look cool, and different
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

I dont think it has to do as much as where the caliper are mounted as to how far out from the center of the hub. No matter where the caliper is mounted, its still dragging the same amount of force to slow your roll. The diving of the nose wont matter since all that happens above the braking action. As stated above, its a matter of looks. To most, it looks cleaner to mount behind the wheel. And as tkent mentioned, they may cool quicker not having the wheel and such to disturb air flow. Course have a bit of sheet metal work, that can be fixed.

Comment

The answer is actually reduced steering inertia...behind the legs is closer to the center of motion of the fork assembly thus you're not swinging the calipers as far for a given amount of lock.
                    In the case of the Z1 the mass of the discs and calipers was significant - enough that once you'd started them turning it was often hard to stop.
                    Tank slappers and front end wobbles were common.
                    Cooling is insignificant - it may actually be better in some cases behind the leg due to turbulent air in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                      The answer is actually reduced steering inertia...behind the legs is closer to the center of motion of the fork assembly thus you're not swinging the calipers as far for a given amount of lock.
                      In the case of the Z1 the mass of the discs and calipers was significant - enough that once you'd started them turning it was often hard to stop.
                      Tank slappers and front end wobbles were common.
                      Cooling is insignificant - it may actually be better in some cases behind the leg due to turbulent air in the region.
                      so it will actually be a good mod then? as i only have 1 disc will that have any adverse affects?
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        so it will actually be a good mod then? as i only have 1 disc will that have any adverse affects?
                        Nah, just do it...

One disc ? So this isn't your GS1000 ? Unless it's one enormous disc....

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                          Nah, just do it...

One disc ? So this isn't your GS1000 ? Unless it's one enormous disc....
                          my GS , just one disc
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                          X